cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 and DFM

dmitry
Level 1
Level 1

Something is wrong with the DFM (again), all the devices (>600) but 5 went into Questionable state, however the DFM is still reporting the events / alarms as before. The attempts to rediscover the questionable devices did not make any difference. I guess I'm looking at another DB cleanup. Awhile ago tried a fix for CSCsi01966 (stop the LMS and delete the dfm.rps and dfm1.rps and start it again and do rediscovery), all the devices (even the ones that were knowingly down) went into the Known state, however all the events / alarms stopped. Had to reinitialize the DB

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We've been having all sorts of problems with DFM lately. There are some DLL conflict issues that arise with .NET 2.0 SP1 and higher as well as versions of msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll newer than 8.00.50727.42. If you have any of those on your system, you will need to remove them and reboot.

Something else that could cause all devices to become Questioned is if you unmanaged the interface or IP address by which the devices are managed. We had one customer do this using the new bulk manage scripts. The only solution to get things going again in this case was to reinit the three DFM Sybase databases as well as delete the .rps files.

Thanks for the follow-up, in fact I did the bulk unmanage of the IPs that are not reachable by the LMS server but I'm 100% sure did not touch the management IPs. Will do the DB init

Well, We have also the problem that DFM doesn't work properly and we have installed a newer version of those libraries (msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll) but we can't remove them.

which application needs those dlls? osagent.exe? is it possible to bypass the latest dll and use those we need?

-> http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/?postid=80

We only install the .42 versions. If you cannot remove the software that installs the newer versions, then you will need to wait for the patch which will resolve the conflict. IT would be best to open a TAC service request at this point so you can be notified when the patch is available.

Isn't there a workaround for it until the patch is available? Usually it takes very long until a patch (or a device package) is released.

The only reliable workaround is to remove the software that installs the conflicting DLLs. We are hoping for a patch in the next week.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco