cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Client side java requirement gone ??

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

I've just devoured all the new LMS 3.0 documents including the deployment guide and I can't find any client side java requirements!

Be still my beating heart, but can it be true that this re-write has slain the java version beast ?

2 Replies 2

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS 3.0 will support Java WebStart Version 1.5.0_11 (which is part of JPI 1.5.0_11.

We are going more towards a Java Webstart component and actually a lot more HTML based reports in CM than before.

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I don't believe Cisco is ready to drop java on Ciscoworks yet.

The only application within Ciscoworks that really requires java is the Topology View in Campus, my favorite application as well.

AFAIKS there is not a real alternative for doing this in another way then with a java applet. In fact changing Topology View to run without java would besides demanding a complete rewrite, create quite a few new dependencies and limitations.

Personally I think it can be done using SVG and java script. And if we do that, we would have something that is a lot more flexible and powerful then the current applet. Problem is that the number one browser on the market sucks big time when it comes to good SVG support and the plugin you could use to make it work a bit is discontinued. What would you say if Cisco says it won't run in internet explorer? And if your answer is a sensible "no problem", what would the director of you company say? Right.

And to make it work on multiple browsers like we have now with the java applet only seems to possible when we use Batik for the SVG support. And Batik.....is written in java.

It really is a shame as the potential of this application is huge IMHO, I've recently showed some nearly selfexplaining shots I took to a CEO to show why some sites are resilient to failures and others are not Campus shows this, but it lacks on some real simple features an shares the closed environment, where it is so hard getting the valuable information out, with the rest of the ciscoworks suite.

From what I've seen so far none of the other vendors have had the courage to change the engine that also drives the ciscoworks gui. What I've seen from SMARTS and IBM has the same feel about it.

It's been a while since there was some (visible) innovation in this part.

It's not to bad that my customers have to hire me to "fix" their network so that campus can discover it properly, and I'm getting good at it, but it makes them wonder about the added value of course, if the product can't tell you what's going on or going wrong on the network it is supposed to manage.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: