cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Device centre CDP update

mburrell5
Level 1
Level 1

Using LMS 3.0.1. When devices have been moved to a different core switch the CDP info displayed in the likes of Device centre is incorrect (still shows the old connection). is there a way of forcing a refresh?

30 Replies 30

You should be seeing ANI poll the device for system information, interface and IP information, STP information, VLAN information, and CDP information. Depending on the device type, there can be a lot involved in a proper Data Collection.

Discovery and Data Collection have nothing to do with each other. Just because Discovery looks okay has no bearing on what will be seen in Data Collection. This is especially true in LMS 3.0.1.

Data Collection gets the list of devices and credentials from DCR; nothing more. It then polls the devices for the information I listed above to build the topology.

Again, simply rediscovering a device will not have any effect on Campus Manager. You will need to perform a new Campus Data Collection in order for Campus to reintegrate the device into the Topology, and populate the CDP neighbor info.

Campus Data collection has been run after device was redicovered but info still not updated. I have attached a packet trace of the Data collection on this particular device. from what I can see the correct info is coming back but is not being updated in campus manager. Campus manager still shows no cdp neighbor info

What neighbors is this switch supposed to have?

Only GMH3750..... (Gosford Mandala 3750)

Yeah, I see that neighbor. Is that switch, 10.76.152.6, listed in DCR, and allowed by the Data Collection filters?

Something else I notice is that ANI thinks the hostname for this neighbor is Gosford Mandala 3750. Have you really configured your name resolution system so that the hostname contains spaces? This is most likely not supported as the RFC for hostnames does not permit space characters.

The device is definitely in DCR and is not limited by any data collection filters (there are none set). The hostname is GHMH3750 & the display name in LMS is Gosford Mandala 3750. there are no spaces in any of the hostnames

This might be fixed by reinitializing the topology portion of the ANI databases using NMSROOT\campus\bin\reinitdb.pl. After that, run a new Data Collection to regenerate the topology. As for more troubleshooting, there appears to be something dying very early on in Data Collection. Enabling frontend and framework debugging in addition to core and corex should show what that is.

After reinitializing the topology and running a new data collection, the problem is bigger than first thought. Now, only 344 devices are found instead of 475. No CDP info has been picked up for any of them. This indicates that although data collection seemed to be working for some devices before it wasn't really. Obviously it did once work. Which log files do you need if I have turned debugging on as you requested?

The ani.log, same as before.

log file is attached

There is a problem processing 10.77.8.160. It's not clear as to exactly what that problem is from the log. However, the symptoms look like a bug which should have been fixed in CM 5.0.2. What is the byte size of NMSROOT/campus/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/ani/server/core/DcrToCampusMap.class?

The byte size of this file is 23054 bytes

This is correct. Unfortunately, there is no way to pinpoint the cause of the exception given the current code. More debugging code will need to be added. You will need to open a TAC service request and your engineer can get additional help from either development or myself.

If you haven't already opened a TAC service request on this, it looks like this bug has already been discovered. The bug is CSCso55021, and will occur if a device's hostname in DCR is blank. If you do contact the TAC, I can produce a patch to correct his problem. Just have your engineer contact me directly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: