cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Device Discovery

dionjiles
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed that a lot of my devices in CiscoWorks are duplicates. So I manually had to delete devices so I can only manage the IP for that particular device. How do we get cisco works to remove the dup's & look basically exactly as this list does now, even if Cisco works cannot manage the device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a bug, CSCsm66330.

Symptom:

The Device Credential Repository contains duplicate devices are Common Services Discovery runs. A device may appear as both its hostname and one of its IP addresses in DCR.

Conditions:

This will occur if, for example, a device is manually added to DCR by an IP address, but CS Discovery determines that the device has a hostname which resolves to a different IP address. In that case, the previous DCR entry will remain, and a new one will be added for the new hostname and new IP address.

Workaround:

If devices are added to DCR using the same IP address and hostname that will be found when Discovery does its IP address to name resolution, then the duplication will not occur.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a bug, CSCsm66330.

Symptom:

The Device Credential Repository contains duplicate devices are Common Services Discovery runs. A device may appear as both its hostname and one of its IP addresses in DCR.

Conditions:

This will occur if, for example, a device is manually added to DCR by an IP address, but CS Discovery determines that the device has a hostname which resolves to a different IP address. In that case, the previous DCR entry will remain, and a new one will be added for the new hostname and new IP address.

Workaround:

If devices are added to DCR using the same IP address and hostname that will be found when Discovery does its IP address to name resolution, then the duplication will not occur.

Thanks. Do I need to have the loopback setting checked as well...the reason why I asked that is that I have a device in CiscoWorks 4 times with different IP addresses being managed.

You don't need the loopback setting checked if you do not want to resolve loopback IPs to hostnames. However, if you have loopbacks properly configured on your devices with PTR DNS records (or hosts file entries), then that is a sure way to determine the proper management IP and hostname.

Thanks. We added forward dns for all our network devices today.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: