cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Master/Slave config - Issues with RME device counts

mssnider
Level 1
Level 1

I have two LMS 3.0 systems in a master/slave configuration. Last week, the slave's RME device count dropped from over 4000 to just 82 devices. The slave's DCR count still lists all 4000+ devices.

I'm trying to understand how the sync between the master/slave works. From what I read, I need to update the DCR of the master. I've configured this system to update RME automatically. So, RME should be updated shortly aftering adding the device to the DCR. Then in the evening, the slave sync's it's DCR list to the masters. Then I assume it would update it's RME inventory?

According to TAC - "When you have a master/slave model applied to Ciscoworks, it will synchronize only the DCR, meaning only Common Services. From there, then you can add devices manually or delete them, from the Master, and that should update the slave, but it will only update the DCR database of the slave. This will help you manage the same devices on both servers."

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If auto-sync is enabled in RME, then any device added to the master's DCR should shortly be automatically managed by the slave's RME. This assumes all daemons are running correctly, and the CSTM messages are being transmitted correctly.

Given that you already have an SR open with TAC, I'd rather you work that angle then have me try to offer competing advice.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is the slave's responsibility to ask the master for changes. When changes are found, the slave pulls them down, and applies the changes to its local DCR. Only the DCRs of the two servers are synchronized. Applications like RME are not handled in the master/slave relationship. The applications still contact the local DCR to get the devices they are to manage.

There have been some bugs in DCR synchronization that were fixed in LMS 3.1. In particular, DCR master/slave is known to be problematic if LMS is integrated with ACS. ACS integration could also explain why your RME device count dropped. If the ACS privileges were changed, then RME may not be able to authorize itself against certain devices.

If the slave's DCR count is still what it should be, then synchronization is probably okay. Try going to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices > Add on the slave server. See if the missing devices show up as being allowed to be added. If not, then I suspect an ACS issue.

We did not integrate LMS with ACS. Is the master/slave configuration problematic when they are not integrated? I do have plans to upgrade to LMS 3.1, so this may speed up those plans.

I now understand that the DCR's are what is syncronized between the master/slave. Then the local RME syncs with its local DCR.

I'll try manually adding some devices to RME on the slave system today. Is there a way to tell RME to try and sync with DCR?

The integration without ACS should not cause problems.

If you go to RME > Admin > Device Management > Device Management Settings. Disable auto-manage, then re-enable it. That should force a sync. Of course, you could also do what I suggested previously, and just add all the devices from DCR into RME.

I had an issue when trying to add devices to RME. When I clicked on the Add Devices button, the device selector section is blank, there are no devices listed. According to the status bar on the left, step 1, Mode Adding - Devices in device credential repository...I assume I should see all of the devices in the DCR listed in the device selector?

This may be part of the problem. Maybe RME isn't seeing the DCR at all?

So, I just disabled and re-enabled the auto-management setting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestions,

You may have a process failure. If you still see problems after the sync, please post the output of the pdshow command from this server.

Should the sync that I initiated show up in the RME job browser? There are no new jobs yet.

I wanted to verify that it is working somehow.

No. The devices will start to be pulled into RME by the EssentialsDM process. You should see the pending count go up under RME > Devices > Device Management.

I never did see the Pending devices count go up. I let it run overnight hoping it was working, but no go. There are still only 85 devices listed in the RME Inventory.

I ran the pdshow command and attached the output as a text file.

Thanks,

can you please send a screenshot of

RME > Deivces > Device Management

the screen that opens shows the 'Device Management Summary'

Here you go...I also added a screenprint of the DCR count for your reference.

Thanks,

Please post a screenshot of the RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices > Add. You said the device selector was missing, but I don't see any process failures that would account for that. Did you get a pop-up error when you went to this interface?

I'm attaching a word doc with the screenprint of RME - Devices - Device Mgmt - RME Devices - Add. It appears like a Java type issue, but I don't think that is the case. The Device Selector window works fine in other sections of LMS.

I had the Common Services home page open and just happened to notice that there was an error under the Device Creds and Admin section. It said 'Error Communicating with DCR Server' Although the page refreshed and it's working okay now. Maybe it was coincidence, but I'm including a screenprint of that too. I've been watching and it has happened a few times in the past 15 minutes.

I ran into a very odd thing yesterday. I'm still troubleshooting why device are not being added to the Slave's RME inventory with TAC. We had ruled out the Master/Slave config becuase their DCR inventories match and update as they should. We've enabled debugs on the Slave's DCR and RME processes, but I haven't heard anything from them.

Anyway, I updated the Master's DCR with 21 new devices, via a bulk import. For grins, I checked the RME inventory on the Slave server, shortly after the bulk import. The slave's RME inventory was updated with these 21 devices.

I'm having trouble understanding this. I thought the Master's DCR inventory had nothing to do with the Slave's RME inventory.

As expected, the Master's RME inventory was updated also.

So, I forced the sync between RME and the DCR on the Master, to see if it would somehow update RME of the Slave, but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

If auto-sync is enabled in RME, then any device added to the master's DCR should shortly be automatically managed by the slave's RME. This assumes all daemons are running correctly, and the CSTM messages are being transmitted correctly.

Given that you already have an SR open with TAC, I'd rather you work that angle then have me try to offer competing advice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: