cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Multi-Server Environment

dionjiles
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have CiscoWorks configured as a standalone, I am looking into setting up a multi-server environment and promote my standalone to master and the other as a Slave server. I'm reading up on the documentation now to get a feel for how much work will need to be done to perform this in the Getting Started with LMS 3.0 guide. The trick question is this another license to be purchased type things for us to do this? Please let me know and also another thing is setting up a multi-server environment is the same as

redundant environment for CiscoWorks?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Master/slave setup is not the same as a redundant setup. It does not mean if one server fails another will take over.

You will need additional licenses if you plan on installing RME, CM, DFM, or IPM more than once.

So if you have a master server with Common Services, RME and CM installed and then a slave server with CS, RME and CM you will need another license.

View solution in original post

and with the 5000 device license you are allowed to install *ALL* apps more then once -so you can build redundancy on your own.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Master/slave setup is not the same as a redundant setup. It does not mean if one server fails another will take over.

You will need additional licenses if you plan on installing RME, CM, DFM, or IPM more than once.

So if you have a master server with Common Services, RME and CM installed and then a slave server with CS, RME and CM you will need another license.

Thanks for the explanation. Is a redundant set up even possible in CiscoWorks?

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Its all a matter of licencing AND number of devices you plan to support. Its not for the faint-hearted and its a decent amount of work. There is no redundancy in Ciscoworks. If you want redundancy you'll need to purchase and install a duplicate autonomous installation. Thats what I have in geographically seperated data center clusters 2,200 miles apart.

Per instance Campus and DFM can support 5,000 devices each. IPM in LMS 3.01 can support 5,000 collectors per instance.

Understood. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you two locations 1,100 miles apart. Just trying to make my life a little easier, but that's doesn't always go swell in this line of work. Right now I'm managing only 290 or so devices in CiscoWorks awaiting quote for the 1,500 license.

and with the 5000 device license you are allowed to install *ALL* apps more then once -so you can build redundancy on your own.

Does this statement imply any licenses smaller than the 5000-device one would restrict full installations of *ALL* apps more than once? I'm planning to have two full installations with two 1500-device licenses.

it implies that any license smaller than the 5000-device one allows the customer to install each app only once PER LICENSE.

If you purchase 2 1500-licenses you are allowed to install each app once for each license (i.e in your case 2x CM, 2x RME, 2x DFM and 2x IPM; CS does not count for licensing- and I think that is what you want to do).

the thing is, that if you purchase only one 1500-device license (each app installed on a single or on its own server) and manage only 600 device you are not allowed to install RME again on a second server (for to build up redundancy or to manage another set of up to 900 devices) - that's what this doc says:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.0/install/guide/sla.html

I had an issue were a customer has 4 offices in different countries and wants to have the complete suit installed on a server in each office. The question was 'must he buy a license for each office or is it possible to buy one 5000-device license (which was cheaper) and install the complete suit in each office' - the answer was yes, that this is possible as long as the overall device count is not more than 5000.

But this is possible only with the 5000-device or 10000-device license but not with the 1500-device license or below.

This is interesting. Does that mean if I have ~700 devices, I could have a single 1500-device license, installed on both servers (or only on the master server in a master-slave setup), and have both servers manage the full ~700 inventory redundantly, using 1400 of the 1500?

sorry for disappointing you - and if I was unclear....

I said '... if you purchase only one 1500-device license[...]and manage only 600 device you are not allowed to install RME again on a second server ...'

only starting with the 5000-device license you are allowed to install each app multiple times (with one license purchased). With the 1500-device license and below your are NOT allowed to do this.

Ah, I got it. Now, I need to find out whether one 5000-device license costs less than two 1500-device licenses. So does that one 5000-device license get installed on each of the four LMS servers, or just the master server?

that's it!! :-)

the license must be installed on each server.

I can't speak to exact prices for you, but yes, one 5000 device license retails less than two 1500. I think it's like $15K cheaper.

Technically, now that LMS 3.0.1 supports 5000 devices on a solution server provided DFM and HUM are installed on separate servers, I'm not sure if the multiple servers, one license still holds, but I think mermel is still right since people upgrading from LMS 3.0 to 3.0.1 aren't likely to redo their management solution now that we added for scalability.

What I do know for certain is that each server needing one of RME, CM, DFM, or IPM will need a license. Only CS is unlicensed.

The short end of this is that, yes, each server will need an instance of this license, and no more than 5000 devices can be managed in any given application across all servers.

if it holds truth for you yjdabear, that it will be around 15k cheaper, you really should get a fee from your company for saving money - and I would only take 10% for leading you on that way ;-)

Doh! I was hoping to get away with a "Danke schön!" :P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: