Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 - manage devices in CM and RME

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello!

I use LMS 3.1 on two Win2k3 servers. The reason to use 3.1 is that 3.0.1 does not work fine.

First server with CS and CM, second server with RME.

I want to manage about 5400 devices (4200 in RME) in the end, but I'm afraid it is a long way to this point. :(

The first problem is, that the discovery does not work stable. It is the same problem like in LMS 3.0.1.

The option "Use LoopBack Address" seams like it is not working because with this option no LoopBack-address will be discovered.

With the option "None" I think it works better, but I have no guarantee to manage the devices by LoopBack.

Okay, after discovering some first nodes (4 nodes) I want to manage them automatically in CM and start the Data Collection.

But it does not work! I activated the button "Enable Auto Mode" -> "Manage All Devices" in the Device Management settings.

Now I thought it is a workaround to use the option "Manage By Groups" and activate all the groups in the list.

But with this option a funny window was opened which said, that there are 6121 new devices to manage with this rule.

It is only one new device and three old (managed) devices.

This workaround does not work because the new device will not be managed after using the group-option.

I can manage the devices by using the "Include Device" button but it is not so useful for my constellation.

After managing the devices in CM I wanted to do the same in RME.

But in RME I don't want to manage all devices, so I have to manage them by hand over the "Add Devices".

The problem is, that I can not choose devices over the selector. It looks like all devices are manage.

Using the option "Enable Auto Mode" -> "Manage All Devices" all four devices will managed immediately!

It is a very strange constellation and I can't believe that all the failures are bugs.

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks a lot!

Sven

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are three distinct issues here. I'll focus on the Discovery issue in this thread. You should start new threads for the RME and CM problems.

The Use Loopback option attempts to find a loopback with the highest IP address on the device. If the device has no loopbacks, then it falls back looking for ifTypes 6,26,8,9,22,53 in that order. The address found will be used as the primary management address. That is, that will be the IP address added to DCR for this device. However, Discovery may still communicate with the devices over alternate addresses during the discovery process.

When you say that no loopback addresses are discovered, what exactly do you mean? Is it that the devices are added to DCR with an IP address on a non-loopback interface, or are the devices found to be unreachable?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are three distinct issues here. I'll focus on the Discovery issue in this thread. You should start new threads for the RME and CM problems.

The Use Loopback option attempts to find a loopback with the highest IP address on the device. If the device has no loopbacks, then it falls back looking for ifTypes 6,26,8,9,22,53 in that order. The address found will be used as the primary management address. That is, that will be the IP address added to DCR for this device. However, Discovery may still communicate with the devices over alternate addresses during the discovery process.

When you say that no loopback addresses are discovered, what exactly do you mean? Is it that the devices are added to DCR with an IP address on a non-loopback interface, or are the devices found to be unreachable?

Hi Joe,

sorry, I will open two new threads for CM and RME.

Then lets have a look at the discovery :)

In first tests I did no devices with loopback were discover. And I don't mean "unreachable", they were not in the device list!

Even the seed devices with loopback were not discover!

Now I did some test with a smaller number of devices (250) with the following settings:

Modules Selected: CDP, Routing Table

Use DCR as Seed List: Yes

Preferred Management IP: Use LoopBack Address

Preferred DCR Display Name: IPAddress

In my seed file I put one central node (6509er) with its loopback from which I want to discover the whole location.

The discovery works fine, but all devices were discover with their "normal" address of the first VLAN and not loopback.

The central node was discover with its loopback.

An other strange behavior is the following:

I created a scheduled disovery last week every day at 18:00.

At this time I had something about 600 seed devices and no filters because I wanted to discover the whole network.

Because of the problems I described on top I deleted all the seed devices, created three new devices and created filters for three networks with something about 80 devices altogether.

Today (after the scheduled discovery) I have more than 4000 devices in the DCR!

Looking about the scheduled discovery settings I was shocked to see that the settings were not updated to the new seed devices and filters!

Is this normal?

In LMS 2.6 the scheduled discoveries took the global settings I think...

Thanks a lot!

Sven

I deleted all the settings in the Device Discovery and restarted the server.

After that I created a new configuration for discovery with a small number of nodes.

And now it works as you wrote, Joe!

In the device list of Discovery there are very strange IP-addresses for the devices (127.0.0.56 or something else), but then in DCR I got the right loopback addresses :)

Don't ask me, what is different to my other attempts...

Thanks for your help!

Sven

Some devices/modules have loopback addresses in the loopback range (127/8). You will need to go in, and adjust these devices in DCR after discovery as 127.0.0.56 won't be reachable by other apps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: