Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 - multivendor?

Hi users,

I would like to know if CISCOWORKS LMS 3.1 is multivendor, that is, if it can manage devices other than CISCO, like 3COM, juniper. I don't think so, just would like to check, because a customer is asking me and another guy told him that 3.1 version probably is multivendor. I've searched here and couldn't find...

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Flaviano.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, LMS is not multi-vendor. RME provides very weak non-Cisco support in that you can get some basic mibII inventory from SNMP compliant devices. However, each non-Cisco will count against your license, so adding them to DCR is not worth it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, LMS is not multi-vendor. RME provides very weak non-Cisco support in that you can get some basic mibII inventory from SNMP compliant devices. However, each non-Cisco will count against your license, so adding them to DCR is not worth it.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it's not - for the most part.

The vast majority of CiscoWorks' functionality is limited to managing Cisco products. A few tools (RME's Syslog Analyzer, for example) will accept information from non-Cisco devices but for syslog analysis, there are many open source and other third party tools that can do that as well.

Hope this helps. Please rate this post if it does.

So, just as a confirmation, we cannot retrieve SNMP data from a non-Cisco device (a layer 3 router as instance), in order to exploit it elsewhere in LMS?

An exemple would be, to retrieve the non-Cisco router's at.atTable in order to map MAC addresses (correctely retrieved from Cisco layer 2 switches) to IP addresses, to display them in user tracking end host report.

Am I right?

You are correct - you cannot accomplish the scenario you mention using CiscoWorks.

You might take a look at third party tools such as Spiceworks (open source) or Solarwinds (Engineer's Tool Set and Orion Network Performance Monitor tools - both licensed but with free evaluation versions available)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: