Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1: SMTP server

mwynen
Level 1
Level 1

Hy pros.

During the migration from LMS 2.6 to LMS 3.1 I found a strange behaviour of the new LMS. When I try to configure the SMTP server entry with the same value as it was in LMS 2.6 he tells me: 'Invalid IP address or server name for mail server. Please enter a valid SMTP server name or leave the SMTP Server field blank.'

The SMTP server responds to ping and to telnet on port 25. Also the old LMS is still using this SMTP server, but the LMS3.1 doesn't accept it.

Why and how could I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

cheers

Marc

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This sounds like CSCsm10925, but it is fixed in LMS 3.1. Are you sure you have 3.1 and not 3.0.1?

If you do, then the problem is most likely that while the mail server is listening on tcp/25, it is not configured to accept a HELO from the LMS server.

View solution in original post

You'll need to capture a sniffer trace of SMTP traffic between the LMS and SMTP servers when trying to apply the settings. This will show where the problem lies.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This sounds like CSCsm10925, but it is fixed in LMS 3.1. Are you sure you have 3.1 and not 3.0.1?

If you do, then the problem is most likely that while the mail server is listening on tcp/25, it is not configured to accept a HELO from the LMS server.

Yes I'm sure it is 3.1.

Is there a way to make it work nevertheless?

Neither I'm able to configure the SMTP server nor I'm allowed to.

cheers

Marc

You'll need to capture a sniffer trace of SMTP traffic between the LMS and SMTP servers when trying to apply the settings. This will show where the problem lies.

Hy.

In the sniffer trace I saw that the LMS server receives a RST after sending the HELO.

I've contacted the guys responsible for the SMTP server. Now it's cleared. The LMS servers IP needs to be allowed.

I'm sorry and thank you for your help!

cheers

Marc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: