Cisco Support Community
Community Member

LMS 3.2 on Solaris 10 - New devices and RME archive job

Hi All,

I've created a RME job that archive syncs our devices. When I add new devices to Common Services, which updates RME, will those new devices have their configurations archived by that same RME job, or do I need to create a new job?

When the existing job was created the option "All Devices" was selected.

Jose Ribeiro

Community Member

Re: LMS 3.2 on Solaris 10 - New devices and RME archive job

Hi Jose

If you created the Config Archive job by gong to RME -> Config Management -> Archive Management -> 'Sync Archive', then the answer to your question is that you will need to submit a new job for 'All Devices' and cancel the existing job. When the job is initially set up, it builds a list of all of the devices that you have selected, and stores them with the job.  It doesn't store 'All Devices' and then build the device list at run time.

A better way to set up a Config Archive job that will process ALL devices each run, is to go to RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt -> Collection Settings and Enable a Daily 'Periodic Polling' Job and a Weekly 'Periodic Collection' Job.  While under RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt  you should also configure :

* 'Transport Settings' ie which protocols are to be used and in what order when attempting to retrieve the configuration from devices.

* 'Purge Settings' ie how many copies of the configuration of each device to do wish to keep.  If you don't set this up LMS will keep each version of configuration forever. If you don't enable purging this can cause problems after several years if you have a large number of devices.

Derek Clothier

Community Member

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your response. I just have a couple of questions:

- If I configure the Periodic Polling and Periodic Collection do I still need the daily Archive Sync job?

- Will CW be able to fetch the configuration with only the RO community string or is the RW one needed on the router/switch?

Thanks again for your help.

Jose Ribeiro

Community Member

Hi Jose,

1. If you have the Periodic Polling & Periodic Collection jobs configured, you won't need the other config Archive Job.

2. If you have configured to use Telnet or SSH as hte transport protocol for Config Management, then snmp doesn't come into it.  If you using tftp however, the nyou will need to have an snmp RW community defined in DCR for each device.

Hi Jose,

If you really wants to track the devices configuration with the help of RME Jobs ( sometimes for auditing purpose we have to have a job ), then you can schedule a job as well but with the option Group Selector like (Select A Layer: Device SelectorGroup Selector ). You can see this option at the very top while creating the job. If you select this option, the membership of the group is dynamic in nature i.e this job will run on all those devices which exist in the group that you have selected at the time of running of job and not at the time of creation of job. For example, if you had created job on Normal Group of RME, then this job will attempt to take the backup of config of all those device which exist in Normal Group. So if your RME is synchronized with DCR (Common Services), and if you are adding the new device to Common Service, then you need not to add this device again for this schedule job since DCR will send this device to RME and once this device have inventory collected, it will automatically be in the normal group of RME and since we had selected Group selector option, RME will collect the config for this device too.

However periodic polling and periodic collection is also desinged to acheive the same purpose and known as kind of administrative task for managing the devices in RME.

Now the question arise what is difference between periodic polling and periodic collection :- Its very simple actually -

Periodic Polling :- Under Periodic polling, RME will first poll the device and if it find any change in the actual configuration of device with the existing configuration in RME . it will trigger collection of backup config for the device. If it will not find any difference between the actual configuration on the device and the existing configuration in RME, it will not trigger any new sync archive on the device thus save your network resources.

Periodic Collection :- Under Periodic Collection, it will not do any comparison and always trigger the sync archive on the device. However you will be able to see the new version of device configuration only when any change on the device happen since there is no point of keeping the same config many times in RME database.

Hope it answer your querries.

Thanks & Regards

CreatePlease to create content