cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 Processes are not able to start.

I am upgrading Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 to LMS 3.2 after upgradation I am not abl to start any processes from CS> Server> Admin> Processes.

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

But you are able to login via the web? On what platform is LMS installed? Post the output of the pdshow command.

I am able to login via web but when i select device management it is giving me error "not able to communicate with DCR server start DCR server process and try again." But the DCR server process is already started. Pls check attached file for screenshot.

LMS 3.2 is installed on windows server 2003 enterprise edition with service pack 2.

Pdshow command output gives following error.

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>pdshow.cmd

INFO:Daemon Manager is processing other tasks in the queue.Please try again late

r.

You have a process failure, so pdshow will hang until Daemon Manager gives up trying to start the failing processes. You need to keep waiting (sometimes up to an hour after Daemon Manager is started) for pdshow to provide valid data. Then post that output.

Please check attached file for pdshow output.

DCRServer and jrm are in bad shape. Post the DCRServer.log, dcr.log, and jrm.log.

Please check attached file for logs.

Looks like you've got some service errors. Please post screenshots of the Services control panel showing all of the CiscoWorks services. Additionally, post the output of the following command from a DOS prompt:

DIR /S NMSROOT\databases

Where NMSROOT is the path into which LMS is installed.

Pls check attached file for required data.

Okay, there are a few problems here. First, the service startup parameters for the CiscoWorks services have been changed, and this will break LMS. You need to set the following services to Manual startup:

CiscoWorks ANI database engine

CiscoWorks RME NG database engine

CiscoWorks Tomcat Servlet Engine

CiscoWorks Web Server

CWAWFEngine database engine

CWCS Cmf database engine

DFM dfmEpm database engine

DFM dfmInv database engine

DFM dfmFh database engine

IPM NG database engine

Then, in order to recover the databases, also set the CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service to Manual, then reboot.

When the server comes back up, delete the following log files under NMSROOT\databases:

ani.log

rmeng.log

cmf.log

dfmEpm.log

dfmInv.log

dfmFh.log

ipm.log

opsxml.log

Then run the following commands:

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\ani\ani.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\cmf\cmf.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\rmeng\rmeng.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\dfmEpm\dfmEpm.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\dfmInv\dfmInv.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\dfmFh\dfmFh.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\ipm\ipm.db

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv10 -f NMSROOT\databases\opsxml\opsxml.db

Then set the CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service back to Automatic, and reboot again, and LMS should come up.

while executing dbsrv10 -f command it is giving following error.

"licence file could not be found"

We have upgraded LMS 2.6 licenced version with LMS 3.2 evaluation edition.

Upgrading between licensed and eval versions is not supported. It sounds like something went wrong with the installation, because you are missing the *.lic files under NMSROOT\objects\db\win32. These are required for the database engines to start.

At this point, you should uninstall LMS, and reinstall. Once the server is clean, you can put back on the LMS 3.2 eval, and the install should work properly. To ensure the best possible Windows installation, you should do the following:

* Set the TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP).

* Disable anti-virus software.

* Disable Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

* Login as the local Administrator on the server's console.

I have backup files of LMS 2.6. Is it possible to restore backup in LMS 3.2 database?

Yes it is possible as long as both are installed on the same OS.

Make the backup on LMS 2.6.

Then on the LMS 3.2 run from the CLI:

perl C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\restorebackup.pl -d C:\backup

assuming c:\backup is the path of your backup folder where the backup from lms 2.6 is

This may not be entirely possible. While normally a backup/restore would work, you have an unlicensed version of LMS 3.2 which means you will be limited to only 100 devices. A licensed copy of 2.6 entitles you to manage either 300 or unlimited devices. So, restoring a 2.6 backup into an eval version of 3.2 may result in problems.

Instead, I suggest a clean installation of 3.2, then import the device list only from 2.6. If you do not have an exported device list from 2.6, then it would probably be best to start from scratch with 3.2. Once you get a license, then you can restore the 2.6 backup.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco