cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 topology services not display user defined group

raindrop18
Level 1
Level 1

CM topology services doesn't display topology view for user defined group. however the "system defined " group dispaly the topology view. this wasn't the case on old LMS 2.6 but with LMS 3.2 we have this issue. did we miss something on setup/configration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. Yes, there is a procedure to drop the OGS tables from the cmf database, but you need to contact TAC to get this procedure.  It is rather involved.  This should be a last resort as you will lose all your user-defined groups.  However, if there is a problem with the OGS configuration in the database, this procedure will correct it.

2. Externally, there is no difference between creating groups in Campus or Common Services.  You can just use different attributes.  Internally, groups to evaluate a group created in Common Services, the CampusOGSServer sends a message to the CSOGSServer which actually evaluates the group against the DCR tables in the cmf database.  The CSOGSServer then returns a list of DCR IDs to Campus.  If those same DCR IDs are managed by Campus, then Campus will display those devices on the map, and in device selectors.

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What errors do you see when trying to launch the topology view for a user-defined group?  What application's user-defined groups are you using?

my user difned group listed under | Topology groups ->CS@server->user defined group | first. it take a while to open the page after selecting one of "user defined group" and no error message just balnk and the top of the page normally listed (Device) (switches) (routers) all showing "0" other note. if I go to Network view -> Lan edge view -all my user defined group listed there and I can see the topology from there.

It is not uncommon to see non-Campus user-defined groups be empty in Topology Services.  However, it sounds like this might be something different. Post a screenshot illustrating what you are seeing including the area where you say it is working inside Campus.

I have attached 2 screeenshoots.

1 - topology group directory for user defiend group name "store 3" which is blank as you see ( why is blank?)

2- Network View directory  for the same user defined group name "store 3" which listed all devicess on the group.

I still have the old LMS 2.6 all the useres defined group can be seen from topology Groups. this is the very important part for our job to see dieeferent locations topology. please let me know if any change on LMS 3.2 to create a user defined group and to see the topology from different locations.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

These are two different things.  The LAN Edge View is a switch cloud which you've named Store3.  The user-defined group is a rule built in Common Services which may be matching on a different set of devices.  What is the ruleset of Store3?  What devices are matched by this group in the Common Services Group Administration screen?

Nothing special needs to be done to allow you to view user-defined groups in Topology Services.  You just need to make sure that the devices being matched are managed in Campus Manager.  That is, under the layer 2 view, you see those devices.  Once that is happening, then they should be visible in the user-defined group container.

store 3 groups defiend on CS, I have atached the rule and the matched list screen shoot. the problem appears on CM side because from CM -> Admin->Groups-> and select user defiend group "store3" and click the detail -> view parent rule is empty (attached the screen shoot) also the membership detail is empty.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It APPEARS this should be working, but you've blocked out the full hostnames in the Campus screenshot, so I cannot say for certain that the same devices being matched by the group are actually managed in Campus Manager.  I did a test here, and I am unable to reproduce.  The devices matched by my CS user-defined group are visible in Topology Services under the user-defined group container.

Post an unfiltered screenshot showing that the devices are in fact managed in Campus, and post the Java Web Start console output after viewing the contents of the Sotre3 group.

I think need to back for primary how do I know the device managed by CM? I have added and created groups on CS. all I know on the past just show up on CM topolgy that was confirm the device managed by CM. now since I couldn't see any list device on topology. how I can tell the device indeed managed by CM.

from CM -> Admin->Groups-> and select user defined group "store3" and click the detail -> view parent rule is empty (attached the screen shoot) also the membership detail is empty. is this should list all device under group "store3" ? (attache the screen shoot)

***Java Web Start console output*** 1261507023598 December 22, 2009 11:37:03 AM EC_Cw-server_AniCoreStates_1261498500770 pc00054 DistMethodTrace FilteredEventConsumer: setClassInstance : EC_Cw-server_AniCoreStates_1261498500770.ec.0, filtobj=com.cisco.nm.ani.share.events.AniEventFilter, init-state=true

You cannot view the membership of one application's groups in another application's group administration screen.  The way to verify that a device is truly managed by Campus is to look for it in the layer 2 view or the unconnected devices view.  If it is in one of those two views, then it is managed.

You can also try testing one of the other Campus workflows to see if the devices show up there.  For example, go to Campus Manager > Reports > Report Generator, and run a Port Attributes Report.  Choose your user-defined group from the list, and see if the devices show up.  If so, then there is a problem with Topology Services.  If not, then there is most likely an issue with the CampusOGSServer.

Topology services Layer 2 veiw all the devices show up. so that confirm all devices managed by CM. however when I go to Campus Manager > Reports > Report Generator, and run a Port Attributes Report. there is no options for any user defined group. (attached screen shoot)

Check Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Selector Settings > Group Customization, and make sure you have User Defined Groups set to "All User Defined Groups".  You should then see a top-level User Defined Groups folder in the Campus device selectors.

Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Selector Settings > Group Customization ---set to "All User Defined Groups". but still not seen top-level User Defined Groups folder. I am wondering any kind of service or server belongs to this function down? because couple of month ago when the first time created the user defined group, i am able to see all the devices and the topology was there. I didn't check since then and I didn't know since this thing stop working. Thanks,

The process which is responsible for grouping in Campus Manager is CampusOGSServer.  However, I do not believe this process is down.  However, you may be running into a bug.  Post the NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/campus/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt and NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt.

I have attached the files, couldn't fine the second file...there is no such directory on my path (/MDC/tomcat/webapps/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco