Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 issue

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing issue with LMS 4.0. The Core Switch is showing in RED color,and device type as UNKNOWN. It was working fine but some how it is showing this problem. Can anyone help me out with this issue.

Thanks,

Shakir

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

14 Replies 14

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

looks like you lost SNMP contact.

Either the community string in LMS no longer matches with what is on the device.

Or an ACL can block the SNMP.

Cheers,

Michel

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

ACL is not configured.

And I checked the SNMP settings both in LMS and Core Switch its same nothing changed. Is there any other reason?

I once saw something similar where the management VLAN was no longer allowed over a trunk.

Can you ping the switch management IP address from the LMS server?

Can the switch ping the LMS using the management IP as source?

Cheers,

Michel

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Actually there are no Vlans configured, just Vlan1 . I can ping core switch from the sever,but never tried pinging server from the core switch management ip.

It was all working fine before.

Not sure how you checked the community string LMS has is correct.

I usually do an export of the devices from the DCR.

You can also try the CLI snmpwalk.exe in CSCOpx\objects\jt\bin

Cheers,

Michel

I see your issue has two set of problems, but one is not relevant for now.

1. Device shows unknown

2. Shows Red in Topology

You should fix the unknown cause first as a device is shown unknown till the time inventory collection isnt succeeded.

Once it is done, the device should show the known state and the device icon.

Try, to run inventory collection job on your device and check if succeeds/fails and share the result. If failing, the failure resutl should show the underlying issue, why the device is still failing.

Once a device is in known state, the other modules will only then start working with that device, and hence it should come in the Green state thereafter.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

@Michel.

Actually I reconfigured the auto discovery settings, thats y i am sure its the same.

What do u mean by export of devices?

The site is in different city so i cannot do or check anything now.

In the Device Management there is an export button.

I allows you to export the credential LMS uses for that device. This can be handy since LMS will not show the credentials.

if you are able to connect to the device using telnet/ssh you can launch an exentend ping from there.

Cheers,

Michel

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Also I remember that it was showing "device not reachable" but i was able to ping it from the LMS Server.

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is invenory collection same as auto-device discovery?

No, discovery just see what devices are out there.

Inventory collection gets all the device details that you find in LMS.

Cheers,

Michel

No Inventory and Auto-device discovery are two different things. Discovery is searching and adding devices from your network and Inventory collection is when a device is added successfully to LMS, then collecting its invenotry details, like, hardware type, IOS it is running on, module it has etc.

If your device appears in Inventory > add/edit device then it is probably added to LMS and you just have to wait for a successful inv. collection to see it in known state.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks,

I will check inventory once I go there.

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Actually I am new with LMS.

can anyone brief me what steps need to follow after installing Lms till topology view?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: