Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 DFM and hostfile

Hello Community,

I am facing the following issue. My LMS 4.1 is not using DNS, but instead I have configured a hostfile with all the network devices. As I understand DFM uses either DNS or hostfile to show devices in "Fault Monitor Device Administration" or to show events in Fault Monitor.

I had forgotten to add a couple of devices in the host file, so for some time they apperead as IP addresses in any menu/output related to DFM. I added the devices to the hostfile and also performed a rediscover to DFM (Admin --> Data Collection --> Fault --> Fault Management Rediscovery Schedule (option "Once"). The Rediscovery is also scheduled (by default) on a weekly basis. Unfortunately the updated devices in the hostfile still show up as IP addresses.

Changes to existing devices in the hostfile also don't show up in DFM.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this is happening? Is this normal behaviour? Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance,

Katerina

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remove and then re-add the devices in Fault (formerly known as DFM). That should force it to re-parse them using the new host file entry.

Thank you for your answer.

It seems that if I delete a device from DCR it is also deleted from DFM. Is there any way to only delete it from DFM, so as not to "lose" any information (archives etc) gathered through DCR? I cannot find any "Device --> delete" action in DFM.

Thanks in advance,

Katerina

I was about to start a new thread to ask that very same question:  How do I delete a device in DFM (and DFM only?).  This seems like such a basic capability but I can't find it.  I have devices that are in DFM that are not in DCR, so deleting the device from DCR in order to remove it from DFM is not even an option.  It wouldn't be a good option even if it were possible.

I read this post from Joe Clarke and unless I am reading it wrong he bascially says it is not possible and that he is pusing to get the capability into 4.2. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3390908#3390908

I am running 4.2 now, but I can't find a way to delete a device in DFM.