cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 soft appliance hostname setup

enharrell
Level 1
Level 1

While running the install wizard of soft appliance LMS 4.1 it asks for hostname and also the domain during the install. Is the hostname suppose to be fully qualified domain name exp: foo.blah.com or just hostname without fqdn exp: foo? Reason why I ask is when I ran the following command below in the shell it doesn't look like it is setup correctly. Also if I did the install without my hostname in dns first will this mess up my install?

shell

#####

hostname --fqdn == doesn't show the domain

example results

foo and not foo.blah.com

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should specify the hostname without the domain name piece.  The domain name is only used for the /etc/resolv.conf file.  The dnsdomainname is not set in the appliance.  This is not a problem.

Your hostname does not need to be in DNS before installation.  Mine wasn't (it took a while for DNS to update).

Thanks for the reply. I opened up a tac case and there response says it should be the FQDN. In my resolv.conf it looks correct. Should I change the hostname to fqdn? While going through the install I thought it was non fqdn for the hostname since it later asks for the domain name.

hostname

foo

/etc/resolv.conf

domain blah.com

nameserver IP

nameserver IP

search blah.com

Tac reply.

1) It is recommended that you should give the fqdn and also there is a facility to change it even after the installation of the software by going into CSCOpx directory.

2) We can also change it (FQDN) by running the perl scripts hostnamechange.pl

I always enter the short hostname.  Adding the FQDN shouldn't break things, but I know that the short hostname will work just fine.  Therefore, you do not need to change the hostname at this point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: