Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

our LMS server stop running after crash :/

I'm trying to run service manually:

net start cmrdmgtd

but it's only displaying error:

"The service is not responding to the control function."

Checked syslog.log and found dmgtd warning messages which are probably responsible for preventing process to start.

Jan 23 05:33:57 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: WARNING: System Memory (RAM) is less than Required Memory, which may affect performance

Jan 23 05:33:57 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: Required RAM space is 1 969 432 130M and System RAM space is 16384M

Jan 23 05:33:57 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: WARNING: System SWAP Memory is less than Required Swap Memory, which may affect performance

Jan 23 05:33:57 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: Required SWAP space is 2130 567 168M and System SWAP space is 32768M

Jan 23 05:33:57 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: WARNING: CPU Speed is less than Recommended

Jan 23 05:33:57 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: Recommended CPU speed is 1 398 035 032 ~MHz and System CPU speed is 2900 ~MHz

I don't have SuperComputer on site to meet those requirements

System specs:

Windows 2008 R2 64b

installed on VM

RAM: 16Gb of RAM

CPU: Xeon X567 2,9GHz

Is there a way to convince dmgtd to suggest lower, real life requirements?

What causing those high RAM and CPU values?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi ,

This time it will work.

You md.properties is corrupt.  I have attached one from my server. you need to make the below changes in the file.

PX_HOST=ns-pup    >> your serevr host name

PX_FQDN=ns-pup.cisco.com    >> FQDN ,if exist

NMSROOT=C:/PROGRA~2/CSCOpx   >> change the NMSROOT in the complete file according to your installation.

after replacing the file ..restart the server

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

here you go ..

make sure , you make the change which I have mentioned in my last update

Thanks-

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your server seems fine. You just have to increase the SWAP space.

It is mandatory to configure swap space manually, if the swap is automatic, this issue may happen.

To increase do following:

1. Right click on "Computer" and select "Properties." Click on "Advanced System Settings."
2. Choose the "Advanced" tab and click "Settings," under "Performance."
3. Choose the "Advanced" tab and click "Change" under "Virtual Memory."
4. Uncheck "Automatically Manage Paging File Size" for all drives.
5. Click "Custom Size" and enter the amount of swap space in MB (megabytes). Click "Set" and then "OK" three times to return to the desktop.

Though you can check the paging file increased size under task manager.

Start Task Manager." Click the "Performance" tab. Under "System," the "Page File" number should equal the amount of physical memory (as displayed on the left) plus the swap space size entered in the previous step.

This.process requires reboot to take effect.

-Thanks
Vinod
"Encourage contributors. RATE responses"

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

thanks for suggestion Vinod, but swap is set manually - min is 16384, max is 32768.

Maximum value is set as suggested to 2x RAM size.

Tried to change swap size to 4xRAM size, but results are similar:

Jan 23 08:03:53 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: WARNING: System Memory (RAM) is less than Required Memory, which may affect performance

Jan 23 08:03:53 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: Required RAM space is 1967334978M and System RAM space is 16384M

Jan 23 08:03:53 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: WARNING: System SWAP Memory is less than Required Swap Memory, which may affect performance

Jan 23 08:03:53 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: Required SWAP space is 2130567168M and System SWAP space is 64768M

Jan 23 08:03:53 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: WARNING: CPU Speed is less than Recommended

Jan 23 08:03:53 127.0.0.1 dmgtd: Recommended CPU speed is 1398035032 ~MHz and System CPU speed is 2900 ~MHz

Hi ,

After Increasing the RAM size ,did you reset the casuser .

try that too:

NMSROO/CSCOpx/set/support> resetCasuser.exe

If above does not help ,share the syslog.log

Thanks-

Afroz

[Do rate the useful post]

Yes, casuser was reset before and after swap size change. It is also in Administrators group.

syslog.log is attached

Hi,

was this working before ? or this is a new installation ?

Follow the below steps:

- Stopped the CiscoWorks Daemon manager

-Deleted all the file ctmregistry.*  from the below location :

NMSROOT\MDC\tomcat\webapps\rme\WEB-INF\lib\
NMSROOT\MDC\tomcat\webapps\rme\WEB-INF\lib\

for e.g  ctmregistry.backup - Started the CiscoWorks Daemon Manager
Thanks-
Afroz

Yes, server was working fine (it was upgraded few months ago) until we experienced problem with free space on disk. After we freed up some space and add about 50Gb of additional disk limit, server was restarted and then crmdmgtd won't start properly.

I removed files you suggested, but Daemon Manager still won't start, also tried to restart server after that, but with same results.

I'm wondering how dmgtd determine required RAM and CPU values. Those values are insane, but depending on some system/program parameters. Maybe when we change those parameters Daemon Manager will lower his requirements and start?

try replacing the Dmgtd.exe file with the attached one.

After replacing the file ..make sure it has the casuser premission.

Thanks-

Afroz

I tried this before with files recovered from backup from before crash, but no luck.

Now, I replaced file with that one you attached, casuser have proper access to it.

Daemon still won't start and there are same logs in syslog.log when I try to run it.

share the below information as well:

ctm_config.txt file from below location:

CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\shared\lib\

CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\lib\

md.properties (CSCOpx/lib/classpath)

regdaemon.xml and regdaemon.xml.bak (NMSroot/CSCOpx/MDC/etc)

Thanks-

here you are

Hi ,

This time it will work.

You md.properties is corrupt.  I have attached one from my server. you need to make the below changes in the file.

PX_HOST=ns-pup    >> your serevr host name

PX_FQDN=ns-pup.cisco.com    >> FQDN ,if exist

NMSROOT=C:/PROGRA~2/CSCOpx   >> change the NMSROOT in the complete file according to your installation.

after replacing the file ..restart the server

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks a lot Afroz, you saved the day

That is solution for my problem, crmdmgtd is starting now.

However, not all required processess are loaded by daemon manager, but I'm troubleshooting those.

UPDATE:

Problem solved. Entries in md.properties file CANNOT contain spaces, all paths must be entered in 8.3 format. To check what is proper 8.3 name for long name folder use dir /x in commad line on parent folder.

Great ..

I have attached the ctm_config.txt  , replace it with yours from both the location:

CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\shared\lib\

CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\lib\

Just one change that you need to do :

REGISTRY_LOCATION=C:\\PROGRA~2\\CSCOpx\\MDC\\tomcat\\webapps\\cwhp\\WEB-INF\\lib

Change the NMSROOT according to your server..

Thanks-

Afroz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: