Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LMS 4.2 email notifications for node down

I need help configuring an email alert so that when a node (switch, router, etc) is unreachable, i will recieve an email notification.  So far i have tried creating an event set then notification group and then email subscription.  This does not seem to be exactly what i am looking for.  I think this could create alerts for any interface that is unreachable. 

thanks!                     

Everyone's tags (2)
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

LMS does not works this way unfortunately, and is not able to generate alert/notification for node/device down.

Fault Management manages doesn't manages device as a whole, instead it manages device on aspects of Environment, System and Interface groups.

It can mostly analyse a card down when many of the similar ports go down in one, but generally it will will manage device explicitly for above categories, which is further subdivided into :

Environment : Power Suppoly, Fan and Temp. Sensor

System : Processor and Memory

InterfaceStatus: Port, Interface, IP and Card

The kind of Events if can generate are following and also mentions the situation in which it will be generated:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/user/guide/lms_monitor/Events.html#wp1078033

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Vinod,

thanks for the quick response and information.  We have a cisco environment, which we were hoping to more efficiently monitor using LMS 4.2.  Today we currently use Solarwinds for monitoring when nodes (switches, routers, etc go down).  If i understand your response, you are suggesting that LMS 4.2 has no way to alert when a node goes down?

I am not trying to be critical, however that seems to be the most primary network monitoring functionality that an enterprise environment requires.  Is a non-cisco network management tool required to get this functionality?

thanks again,

bryan 

Views
Helpful
Replies