Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LMS 4 DCR names reverting to IP address

I have an issue with LMS 4.1 where the DCR names of several devices repeatedly revert to the IP address.  I am trying to stage some devices for deployment.  The initial 5 devices were staged and are now off-line.  A subsequent set of 6 devices is on-line and accessible from LMS4.1.  The device names on the off-line devices are stable.  The device names of the on-line devices revert back to an IP address every day.  From device management, I go in and change the display name and the host name from the IP address to an alphabetic host name.  When I go back and look at it the next day, it has reverted to the IP address.  What is causing this?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES

I assume that it is the DCR discovery; do you have added these devices to your DNS yet?; check this by using the following script:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\resolver.pl

(with NMSROOT being the (short) installation path of LMS, eg. C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx)

if they are not in DNS, DCR will use the IP address if in the "Global settings" section of the discovery configuration "Update DCR Display" is opt-in.

Add the devices to your DNS (or the hosts file of the LMS server).

Thank you Martin for the reply and the thorough explanation.  I thought it might be a setting I could tweak.

I do not yet have the device names in DNS.  In the meantime, I tweaked the global discovery settings to prefer "Sysname" over DNS name (they are the same).

-Jeff

Views
Helpful
Replies