Helpful
Replies

LMS Backup - Cannot create or back up tar file

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have LMS 3.2 installed and the backup is failing with the following message

"Cannot create or back up tar file. Backup cancelled. Verify that you have write-access to this directory."

I have removed Cygwin and also the set the backup to offline yet the same result. Please assist on this issue.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dedra,

I will not give you as much help as Joseph, but will provide you an idea for possible problem explanation.

Just following your sentence:

I removed all traces of mentioned line but still the same problem.  Backup failed with the following message. I have noticed that all these  backup fail after writing 4GB of data into the backup directory.

Are you sure you don't generate any file bigger than 4GB on a FAT32 file system support, which cannot be possible (external USB storage) ?

It could be the reason for such a error message returned from your tar.exe process....

D:/CiscoWorks_Backup/0/upm/filebackup.tarC:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\tar.exe:  Write error: No space left on device would be the error message returned code from this situation oversizing file maximum size.

Any simple solution would be to format your USB storage to NTFS or change backup destination to NTFS partition somewhere else for test and eliminate this supposition.

regard,

andré

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Post the entire dbbackup.log.

Please find attached the dbbackup.log

I am doing the backup on an external USB storage.

Post all of the datafiles.txt files under C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\backup\manifest\rmeng.

Please find attached all the requested datafiles.txt

Go through all of these files and remove instances of D:/CiscoWorks_Backup.  After that, the backup should succeed without needing as much disk space.

I removed all traces of mentioned line but still the same problem. Backup failed with the following message. I have noticed that all these backup fail after writing 4GB of data into the backup directory.

Cannot create or back up tar file. Backup cancelled. Verify that you have write-access to this directory.

Please assist.

Hi, dedra.

How many space you have to backup data because the log shows you:

a D:/CiscoWorks_Backup/0/upm/filebackup.tarC:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\tar.exe: Write error: No space left on device

maybe you don't have sufficient space on directory.

Try deleteing all jobs that you don't need and I recommend you run before your backup data a job LOG ROTATION into Common Services->Server->Admin->Log Rotation.

greats,

Hi,

D:/CiscoWorks_Backup/0/upm/filebackup.tar is the old backup location which had less space. Now I am trying to do backup on external USB storage which has 500GB available. So space is not an issue at the moment.

Joseph,

USB storage device has some vendor related software stored on it. It offers USB data encryption, compression and many other features. Could it be that during LMS backup, one of these utilities auto runs and interferes with the backup process thereby giving it the impression that something is being changed on the destination folder etc.

Thanks.

That's not what the log was saying.  Post the new dbbackup.log.

Please find it attached.

Hi,

Your dbbackup.log file is incomplete. Post the last lines to see what is the message error.

Thanks,

Well, thats all I can see in the dbbackup.log file. I zipped the whole file and had attached to the earlier post.

Regards.

Hi Joseph,

Any clues on this.

Thanks.

The backup completed successfully, but there appears to be a problem reading NMSROOT/lib/classpath/backupstatus.properties.  This isn't fatal to the backup process, though.  Your backup should be healthy.  If the problem persists on the next backup, post the backupstatus.properties file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: