Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS CM and incorrect link attributes

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I've just noticed that the layer 2 map view in Campus Manager | Topology Services has incorrect link attribute information for some of our switches.

For example, we have port Gi0/1 on a Cat 2960 access switch connected at 1Gbit/s to port Gi0/11 on a Cat 2970 building aggregation switch.

CiscoWorks topology services, however, thinks that the access switch is connected via port fa0/1 to port Gi0/11 on the aggregation switch.

I've re-run discovery a few times but that hasn't sorted the problem out.

Any ideas of what the problem could be or where I should start looking for it? I have verified that credentials (telnet and snmp ro and rw) and CiscoWorks is able to gather data from the both switches.

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

What you version?

If you do a sh cdp neig you see your this as you described it?

Gi0/1 on Cat 2960 to Gi0/11 on Cat 2970?

Could it be it was connected using port fa0/1 in the past?

Maybe that the if index of the 2960 has changed but ciscoworks doesn't notice it.

Have you tried deleting the access switch and do a rediscovery.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

What you version?

If you do a sh cdp neig you see your this as you described it?

Gi0/1 on Cat 2960 to Gi0/11 on Cat 2970?

Could it be it was connected using port fa0/1 in the past?

Maybe that the if index of the 2960 has changed but ciscoworks doesn't notice it.

Have you tried deleting the access switch and do a rediscovery.

Cheers,

Michel

We're running Campus Manager 4.0.5.

The CDP neighbours tables on both switches have the correct info.

Deleting the aggregation switch and all of the access switches from CiscoWorks and then re-discovering them sorted out the problem - thanks.

Is this the only way to get CiscoWorks to update its interface information? Just doing a rediscover (without the delete) didn't sort out the problem.

Hi Craig,

greetings to Cape Town.

It is not a problem of the CiscoWorks bundle. It is a apecific problemin the Campus Manager especially in Topology View.

You might have noticed that Devices and Credentials and /or Ressource Manager Essentials did update the information.

Topology View gets its data from the ANI Database. This is a well known problem:

- If you change the device and give the new device an used IP you will have problems.

- If you use a known device on anohter place in the network you will have a problem again.

- If you change the Management IP-Addresses of the devices this will rais problems too.

The best way is as you mentioned to delete the devices from topology view and rediscover.

Best regards and greetings from Duesseldorf, Germany.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the explanation.

Craig