cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS device discovery

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

There are several sites in our company. I have added devices (auto discovery) of one site successfully on the LMS only for test purpose. But when I try to add other devices of another site, it does not work. When I add new site, I did not check "Use default credential" because of different enable password between two sites. I also add "IP address range" for new site. These devices are configured the same SNMP command.

I really did not know where my issue is. Please give me advice! Thank you

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume none of the new devices show up as being reachable. The most likely cause is you have not configured the correct SNMP credentials in Discovery for this new IP range. Either that, or the discovery method your using is not allowed/enabled in this new site. You may also want to check to see if there are any firewall rules or access-lists that would block SNMP between the LMS server and new site.

The best thing to use to help narrow down the problem is a sniffer trace filtering on one of your seed devices from the new site.

Try to add the seed device as the router of each site and discover. There will be 1 seed device for each site. Also add the network range as appropriate.

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your guys response. Actually I tried several times to add devices with keeping original configuration. I found a question. If I only inputted a seed device of one site and kept "IP address range" as empty, I could find all devices of all sites; but once I inputted IP address range for any site or all sites, none of devices are found. Could you explain about that?

Another question, why several devices could not be resolved name even though I already set up hostname and domainname. BTW, these devices are the same configuration as resolved devices.

I would say your IP address ranges were incorrectly specified. Filtering is applied after Discovery contacts the devices, and pulls down all of the IP addresses. If one address matches, the device is allowed to be discovered.

The resolution problem is most likely CSCso45657. It will be fixed in LMS 3.1 which is due to start shipping tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice. I just checked this bug. But so far my version of LMS is 3.1, I think it would fixed this issue in 3.2.

If you're using CS Discovery with LMS 3.0.1, this is most likely your bug. The bug is fixed in LMS 3.1 which has not been released yet. LMS 3.1 will contain Common Services 3.2.

I want to know where the shown name is from after we use device discovery? Is it from DNS record (We define name-server on our devices) or directly from devices (We also define hostname+domainname on each device)?

When I did "Device Discovery", I chose the following option "Resolve By Name","Resolve By SysName","Reverse DNS Lookup" and "Update DCR Display Name".

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: