cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS DFM and unknown devices

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently running CiscoWorks LMS with DFM 2.0 and recently started purchasing Catalyst 2960 switches which DFM 2.0 doesn't recognise and marks as "Unknown Devices".

Is there an update mechanism (MIBs etc) which will get DFM to recognise these devices (without having to do an upgrade to 2.0.5 - which actually claims to support Catalyst 2960's)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The service pack upgrade mechanism is the only way to get new device support into DFM. Why do you not want to upgrade? The path from DFM 2.0 to 2.0.5 is free.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The service pack upgrade mechanism is the only way to get new device support into DFM. Why do you not want to upgrade? The path from DFM 2.0 to 2.0.5 is free.

It's not that we don't want to upgrade - we do.

I was investigating what the quickest method of getting support for the Catalyst 2960 into DFM would be. We made the mistake of not checking to see whether LMS would support our new Catalyst 2960's and only noticed that it didn't the day before we were due to roll-out the first batch of these switches on our campus.

We are currently reliant on getting upgrade advice and support from our partner. When we tried to organise access to the upgrade on the day before our roll-out we were told that access to the upgrade would need to be requested through their Germany office (we are in South Africa) and would take at least two days to process (starting from Monday when their network management guy gets back from leave!).

They also told us we didn't need to do an upgrade and that a mib update, which according to them includes "device drivers" to add support for new devices, would be sufficient to resolve our problem.

Luckily, we do our own checking up where we can :)

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Craig,

after coming back from weekend i have seen your post here in the forum.

Maybe you remember me. We had solved the WLSE issue with the defect CD drive.

I hope our organisation may solve this little "problem" for you!

The mentioned MIB Updates may work with CiscoView or RME, but not with DFM!!

Full ACK with Joe!

Hope to meet you again!

Best regards,

Frank