Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS/L2 sw

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

hello

suppose i have cw LMS connected to a L2 switch. this sw has int vlan 1 shutdown and an IP address in vlan2. cw has an IP in same subnet as int VLAN 2.

v3 exists also in the switch.

can cw/lms track computers in vlan 2 and 3? ie: can we obtain the list of computers attached in each port in this switch?

21 Replies 21

thank you very much for clarifications.

in my situation, i have a PIX firewall that has DMZ interfaces in vlan 3,4 , 5...

so i think it's the same thing as router. CW should query ARP table in firewall.

my firewall is managed by CW, and in end host report, i can see MAC addresses in each switch-port but in IP column, i only get IP addresses of 2 devices!

may be i should increase ARP timeout in PIX?

This will not work. The PIX, FWSM, and ASA devices are not supported by Campus Manager, and will not work as routers for UT. What you could do is put another, supported router on the same subnet, and have it act as the default gateway, but simply redirect hosts to the PIX. This device would cache ARP entries, and would allow UT to show MAC addresses with IPs. This is what I do in my lab, and it works quite well.

thanks joe.

i hope cisco will integrate firewalls in campus manager for next LMS versions.

because i can't add a rtr for every DMZ.

thanks again.

Firewall device support is not planned as they do not support CDP.

HI Joseph

Have this been resloved in LMS v4.0.1?

I have an ASA 5580 as a gateway for all users, Can we retrieve the ARP information from it in order to support User Tracking?

Regards,

Georges

Cisco firewalls (ASA, FWSM, or Pix) continue to not be supported for collection of UT data with CiscoWorks LMS (of any release level).

As Joe stated in the earlier sections of this thread, no support is planned since those devices do not support (enough of) the fundamental technologies that LMS uses to gather UT data.

Yes, this is correct.  Firewalls are still not supported in Campus/Topology and UT.  These firewalls do not support the at or ipNetToMediaTables anyway in order to provide ARP information via SNMP.