Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS portlet

georgeef1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Till LMS 3.1 there was a portlet to show the LMS log file size and if they were red it used to show them in red.

In LMS 3.2 I cant see that portlet, neither I am able to see the recommended file size for the logs in any portlet.

Has it been removed? Ans is there a way I can see the cisco's recommended log size?

-Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, I misunderstood. The recommended size limit was always useless. The sizes were too low to be of real value, and just added needless "noise" especially if debugging needed to be enabled. On top of that, many log files are controlled by the log4j subsystem which has its own size limits, and takes care of rotating log files itself.

Log files not controlled by log4j (and even those that are) can be rotated with Logrot (Common Services > Server > Admin > Log Rotation). These log files include daemons.log, jrm.log, ani.log, ut.log, utm.log, utlite.log, and syslog.log (to name a few).

The log4j logs will automatically create .X versions (where X is a number). If you don't require older logs, you can periodically delete these files to recover space.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Log Space Usage portlet is still there. It is on the System portal view by default. You can add it from CiscoWorks > CS in the Add Portlet interface.

Thanks jclarke,

Though the Log Space Usage portlet is still there, what i am curious to know is if there is any specific reason why the other information from that portlet has been removed :

>File System Utilization

>Recommended size limit

which was there in LMS 3.1?

Please advise.

-thanks

Ah, I misunderstood. The recommended size limit was always useless. The sizes were too low to be of real value, and just added needless "noise" especially if debugging needed to be enabled. On top of that, many log files are controlled by the log4j subsystem which has its own size limits, and takes care of rotating log files itself.

Log files not controlled by log4j (and even those that are) can be rotated with Logrot (Common Services > Server > Admin > Log Rotation). These log files include daemons.log, jrm.log, ani.log, ut.log, utm.log, utlite.log, and syslog.log (to name a few).

The log4j logs will automatically create .X versions (where X is a number). If you don't require older logs, you can periodically delete these files to recover space.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: