Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LMS4.1 soft appliance: Topology Java Install Endless Loop

Hello,

The installation of the Java Applet is in an installation endless loop. Also after closing all Browser windows many times, Im still kept in the same step as shown in the screenshot of Topology Applet installation. Never experienced the problem in this manner for Windows and Solaris versions of LMS before. Need help.

Did before:

1. installed the offered new version of JRE

2. cleared the JavaCache

LMS41-Java-endless.png

thx for help, Steffen

• Network Management
5 REPLIES

Re: LMS4.1 soft appliance: Topology Java Install Endless Loop

On your client make the directory \Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed writable for users.

Once it is writable you should get these files in there. Then it should work

07/03/2012  09:00            84,994 avalon-framework-4.1.5-sign-1-3.jar

07/03/2012  09:00         6,007,069 jacorb-sign-1-3.jar

07/03/2012  09:00            98,282 logkit-1.2-sign-1-3.jar

11/11/2010  17:34         4,451,842 vbjorb.jar

Cheers,

Michel

Hello Michael,

With creating endorsed and copying those files manual it still doesn’t work.

So it doesnt works without providing write access for endorsed. But I can’t change the permissions of endorsed without having the real local Administrator Account for my company PC. This is just a test from my PC to a LMS Linux appliance in our Lab. But the real end customer will have the same problem: staff from networking department have typical not the original “Administrator” password of the company PC’s given by the PC department.

PowerShell:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib> attrib -R endorsed

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib> attrib -R endorsed /S /D

Other ideas to can change permissions of “endorsed” with a user that is just in the local administrator group, but with no chance to get to the original “Administrator” user?

JRE Version:1.6.0_24

Recommended JRE Version:1.6.0_24

Endorsed dir is:C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed

EXT DIR:C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed\jacorb-sign-1-3.jar

http://172.16.10.73:1741/JSP/CAMPUS/campus/res/jacorb-sign-1-3.jar

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed\jacorb-sign-1-3.jar (Zugriff verweigert)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.(Unknown Source)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusAppletInit.downloadJarExt(CampusAppletInit.java:70)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusAppletInit.setOrbEnv(CampusAppletInit.java:243)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusAppletInit.doIt(CampusAppletInit.java:123)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.init(CampusApplet.java:125)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.Exception: DOWNLOADFAIL: Download of file logkit-1.2-sign-1-3.jar failed with error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed\logkit-1.2-sign-1-3.jar (Zugriff verweigert)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusAppletInit.downloadJarExt(CampusAppletInit.java:98)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusAppletInit.setOrbEnv(CampusAppletInit.java:243)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusAppletInit.doIt(CampusAppletInit.java:123)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.init(CampusApplet.java:125)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Steffen

Usually the number people that need this access is low. Why people that are trusted on network devices can't have the admin password on their PC is another question.

A domain admin can do this modification with a GPO applying to all network admin guys and gals PC I think even when he/she logs on to a pc. It is inconvenient but not blocking.

I hope to see a new campus manager where all this runs in the browser on SVG or canvas. :-)

But who knows what cisco will do

Cheers,

Michel

But I need a solution for the customer on Monday and cant wait till Cisco moves all long overdue JRE dependencies to a more field capable technology☺

The quick 1st aid in the product had could been to bundle all necessary 4 endorsed jar’s instead of vjorb only to Cisco’s JRE and remove the download enforcement in the logic or place this 4 jars in the users jar-cache so you are independent from very seldom enterprise user access right scenarios.

But Im asking myself because I was able to establish topology view with LMS4.1 many times in Windows and Solaris at different customers and now with the linux based appliance I got in this trouble. What is the root cause?

1. The customers before had older operating systems at their PC’s, e.g. XP, Vista where maybe the quasi admin or Domain user belonging to the Administrator-group is closer to the access-rights of the only “Administrator” than in Win7 or 8.

2. The download logic and JRE bundeling at Linux appliance is different from LMS Windows/Solaris implementation

Because of other side effects with the Linux appliance as well we decide to drop this installation and continue with a Windows based LMS4.1 installation on monday. Will this solve this TopoView issue?

Steffen

Out of luck Steffen,

The is no change in how campus works over the years and various versions, nor on this appliance or on windows.

It is the client side where people no longer run as admin equivalent. You will have the same issue on a windows server.

Cheers,

Michel

Views
Helpful
Replies