cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS4 - Manual device discovery

STEFFEN NEUSER
Level 4
Level 4

I have a very special usecase with migrating devices from LMSv2.6 to v4.1 using DCR bulk import that was maintained manualy, not by discovering.

The special thing is each device has its own SNMP-community and its about 1500 devices.

RME discovery works fine, but I get the devices not discovered by DCR (CSDiscovery), because I need a minimal DCR discovery configration containing Seed and SNMP-settings. So I activated DCR as seed, but cant skip SNMP settings without an entry. But in this case I would need 1500 SNMP-lines that would be very unhandy.

Q: is in CSDiscovery-Settings a possibility to can leave SNMP settings untouched so it takes the credentials from the DCR, to can start DCR discovery?

thx for hints, Steffen

6 Replies 6

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

There is no need to run an extra discovery if your device list is complete.

A export on LMSv2.6 sould be importable with the bulk import in v4. That is all you need to do.

I would use LMS 2.6 or 4.1 to put the same new community string on all devices. Then run a discovery and go through the unreachbles to make sure you are not missing anything important.

Cheers,

Michel

My customer see this as a bug, that he cant do DCR discovering, without typing all 1500 communities in SNMP-settings.

Im afraid that if you write a line with a dummy community to solve this deadlock, that all devices will get the configured dummy community and not that we imported causing a real problem.

Yes, its not important from my point of view as well, because DCR is propagating all devices to RME correctly and RME will also discover and correct SysObjID that was wrong from v2.6 due to a worse device support than in v4.1 and “DCR discovery never started” in status page is just a cosmetic issue.

Steffen

Well he can run DCR discovery. It won't change any existing community string.

It will find new ones (if these exist), that have the community strings you define in the discovery settings.

And “DCR discovery never started” is not an issue, not even cosmetical  :-)

Cheers,

Michel

Customer dont want to autodiscover devices also not in the new LMS4.1. Another special thing beside each device has its own SNMP-community is that CDP is switched completely off and is not allowed in this network for maybe some of paranoid security understanding.

I think you misunderstand the issue:

Skip of SNMP-settings in DCR-setting Wizard => No Discover-Config => No DCR-Discovery => Cosmetic Issue that customer sees as a bug, but doesn’t influence the functionality

Dummy SNMP community line => DCR-setting Wizard will be fulfilled => DCR-Discovery can start => real problem, because all devices maybe overwritten with the Dummy-community we need to pass the DCR-config wizard

Maintain 1500 community lines in DCR SNMP settings => nobody will have the time for this

Skip of SNMP-settings in DCR-setting Wizard need, if “use DCR as seed” has been checked => DCR-Discovery can start, because SNMP communities from existing DCR will be used => would be an extension that could solve this situation and would be a desireable extension in the LMS SW

first: sorry, I still do not understand, why the customer wants to run a discovery when all devices are in DCR?...

second: "DCR discovery never started" is a status messages and it is correct. To run a discovery just to change the status and (what I think) thus the red color is doubtable - in my opinion.

See it as a benefit: the customer has all devices in DCR he DO NOT want to run a discovery to potentially mess up things. So with one view he sees immediately that everything is ok and only wanted devices are in DCR. If the discovery status changes - he will be warned that he could get problems with (unwanted) devices in DCR.

To fool DCR you could try to setup a discovery job with one known device, change the snmp settings to restrict the community string to that one device and enable "use DCR as seed". This should let you run a discovery. Device in DCR with a corresponding and reachable snmp community string should not be changed during discovery. - What I am not sure about, is how the algorithm to determine the disply name comes into play for existing devices.

Steffen,

Dummy SNMP community line => DCR-setting Wizard will be fulfilled  => DCR-Discovery can start => real problem, because all devices  maybe overwritten with the Dummy-community we need to pass the  DCR-config wizard

The displayname can be updated if this is allowed in discovery setting.

The credentials policy sets can be used to give credentials to NEW devices.

Existing devices do not get other credentials.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: