cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging traps

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Can/does ciscoworks DFM log the traps it recieves to a file?

If so will it filter out all devices not in DFM like it does with trap forwarding?

Does anyone know a good (free or not too expensive) trapreceiver that can log to a text file like syslog.log?

Cheers,

Michel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure, just create an snmptrapd.conf file in the appropriate location with the contents:

forward default 127.0.0.1:9000

That will forward all received traps to 127.0.0.1 9000/udp.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM 2.0 does not log traps to a file. However, you can use a syslog notification subscription to somewhat emulate the old File Notifier feature of DFM 1.x. While this will not log the raw trap, it can log DFM events to a flat file.

As for a good trap receiver that logs to a flat file, I like net-snmp's snmptrapd (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net). It is scriptable, and can write SNMP traps to flat files using either the server's internal syslog system (if available) or directly. Plus, it's very easy to load new MIBs, so varbinds in traps can be translated when written out.

Thanks Joe,

I will give that one a try.

There is too much other stuff comming out of DFM that I don't want and I need something that just logs.

I hope there is an easy way to receive the traps with this trapd and then forward the trap to 127.0.0.1:9000 so DFM can enjoy it too.

It mentions just that on its front page so I hope for the best.

Cheers,

Michel

Sure, just create an snmptrapd.conf file in the appropriate location with the contents:

forward default 127.0.0.1:9000

That will forward all received traps to 127.0.0.1 9000/udp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: