cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logrot question

crazycisco
Level 1
Level 1

After I use logrot.pl to rotate and backup log file, the size of the log file is reduced, and the backup zip file is in the backup folder. All these look good.

But, after a while, when I check the size of that log file, it goes back to the size before I use logrot. I open the log file and find it is all blank (I think the content has been erased and backup by logrot). How does this happen and any suggestion?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

What version of RME are you running? Windows or Solaris?

Windows, RME 4.0.4. Any suggestion?

This may be a brand new issue. What log file(s) is this happening with?

It happens to all log files I try to rotate. BTW, I did not use -s option to shut down CRMdmgtd, does it cause the problem?

Thanks

I would like to try duplicating this. Please let me know the names of the files.

For example, psu.log and stdout.log.

The symptoms you have described are very similar to CSCsb44847: Logrot cannot rotate ani.log

Granted in your case it is happening for a number of files, however I believe the reason is the same.

Notice the Symptom from the Release-note:

"After running logrot on ani.log, the file will go to zero bytes in size. However, the next time the file is written to, its size will jump back to the original size, and there will be spaces or NUL bytes in the beginning of the file."

The work-around as you probably figured:

"Perform an offline logrot rotation with ``logrot -o''. This will shutdown dmgtd prior to logfile rotation."

Thanks a lot.