cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Long Device Discovery in LMS 3.0.1

sfenderson
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed the Dec 2007 update to my Windows 2003 based LMS 3.0 system which upgrades it to LMS 3.0.1. Device Discovery was changed in this update and is now part of CS instead of CM. Since this upgrade my device discovery times have gone from about 15 minutes to 7 hours. I am using the discovery method created by the Dec 2007 update which just migrates the settings from CM to CS so the module being used is CDP. My existing seed devices and IP address range filter was migrated correctly. I performed a sniffer trace and found all the extra time is apparently due to discovery treating Cisco IP Phones as valid Cisco devices that should be discovered via SNMP. I see discovery try SNMP queries on each IP Phone and the phone responds with an ICMP port unreachable because IP phones don't run SNMP. Discovery ignores this and goes through the configured timeouts and retries that are configured before giving up and moving on to the next one only to suffer the same time wasting queries again. My SNMP timeout is 3 seconds with 2 retries. This adds up when you have 1500 IP phones. Is this a bug or is there some way to stop this? I never had this problem with LMS 3.0 or LMS 2.X.

20 Replies 20

Joe, I am having a problem with discovery again. I recently configured to allow discovery of my entire network. Previously I was discovering about one 1/3. I quickly found that the patch you gave me to skip IP phones doesn't skip 7941's and 7961's and the new part of the network had a couple thousand of these. So I excluded the entire IP range we address phones with until this problem is fixed. This made things ok for a while. I then noticed that sometimes discovery seemed to hang but if I restarted CiscoWorks it would work again. Now even after a restart/reboot discovery will not complete. This is not because of the IP Phone problem as I am excluding these by IP address range. Also, the counts in discovery summary stop incrementing. It will never complete unless I stop it. I will attach my CSDiscovery.log file.

Hi There,

Have you guys found some kind of a solution to the problem discussed above, as I am experiencing exactly the same thing.

Joan

Joan, I do not have a resolution to this problem yet. I have a case open with TAC and they gave me an updated file that collects more debugging info. So far I can't recreate the problem with the extra debuging enabled. I will update you when this gets resolved.

Thank you so much , that would be great

Joan, the device discover hang was resolved. TAC gave me an updated version of the file ngd-log4j.properties with some extra debugging stuff enabled. The problem would not happen when using this file. It created a large log file everytime discovery ran so I couldn't use this on an everyday basis. So TAC had me edit the file and change the debugging level so it would not normally generate a log file. Since then I have not had the hange problem.

Would it be possible to get this file? Email is sirbaughmf@state.gov

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: