Helpful
Replies

looking for free tftp software

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

I want to test backing up and restore IOS and startup-config

what a good free software can I use for this purposes ?

thanks,

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with Leo's recommendation for tftpd. If you want to manage the backed up configs look into the open source RANCID ( need some Linux skills) or the entry level paid product kiwi cat tools from SolarWinds

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

thanks Leo

I downloaded and tried it, I got the result but it is showing me the TXT file in linear format ( from left to right) not like cisco device.

however when I copy paste the result, it is ok,

I am not sure if I explained it well !!!???

Marvin Rhoads

thank you, I will do something about what you said.

May be you opened it in Notepad, which sometimes omits line spacing and show the text in junk way all together.

Just try to open the same file in some other word processors with better comprehension and display capability, like Notepad++:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/notepadplus/6.5.3/npp.6.5.3.Installer.exe

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

thank ou very much

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

question came in my mind while I am practicing on this process,

if an ISP or Enterprise network created TFTP server to allow network engineers to report network devices configurations, issues and what so ever,

and suppose they are using public IP address for this purpose.

how can they protect the server from spams and malicious

??

backing up and restore IOS

This does NOT make any sense. 

Why do you want to "back up" an IOS?  Why do you want to "back up" an IOS when you can just as easily log into Cisco and download the IOS. 

startup-config

You want to back up your configuration?  As what Marvin has posted, RANCID is your answer.  If you think RANCID is too much, then you can use EEM script or KRON.

I think this is a wide adopted practice. But havent seen a TFTP to be used to secure data, where it is always vulnerable and available for others, freely.

Though FTP is what I have seen is used in Enterprise to have individual logins to maintain privacy and audit. Also, it has anonymous mode with email address as password for those who dont have login credentials, but it allows restricted access to a opne directory's.

Also, FTP/TFTP corporate servers usually flush all data kept there as per their policy (like in 2 or 3 or n days).

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **