cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

'Looking for input on the best way to report on Power Supplies -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

I need to find the best way to report on Power Supplies for various chassis in RME 3.5. I would like to include the model and the Serial number if possible.

Any ideas? cwexport or what?

Thanks for any input -

3 Replies 3

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

'Guess I have to answer this myself....

The detailed device report shows the power supply information (minus the serial #) however there's this goofy limit of 50 devices max at a time when running that report. When each of your 3 RME severs have over 4,000 devices, it would take a longgggg time to run these reports.

It looks like the Data Extraction Engine will be the best way to go. The cwexport command which exports inventory information is a great idea but since most of us don't speak in XML and not many of us are fluent in writing stylesheets in XSL, the Data Extraction Engine is probably a better choice since more of us can work with .csv files easier using Excel.

I'm guessing there's no way for SNMP to gather serial number information from the power supplies. It's funny how SNMP does pull the Card serial numbers though.

Hi,

there's actually a bug in RME 3.5 with regards to the 50 device limit in inventory reports CSCdx83538 and if you contact TAC they can provide a patch for this issue.

Serial numbers have always been a tricky business. Unless the device, like a card, reports the serial number then there's no way for snmp to read it. Switches have usually been better than routers at reporting serials, often on routers you have to enter the snmp-server chassis-id command to allow snmp to collect serial information. Most times the serial is a sticker located physically on the hardware and snmp would have no idea it exists.

HTH

Thanks for informing of the patch that allows a selection of more than 50 devices for a detailed device report. I put it on 1 of our 3 RME servers, the one that has 4,936 devices, and it works great.