cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Making sense of resurrected NetConfig jobs

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From what I was told, a number of NetConfig jobs scheduled to run in January somehow got reactivated recently, so stale changes got pushed. All NetConfig jobs have to go through an Approver group, so these jobs got approved either in Jan or recently or both times. Considering NetConfig jobs are set to be purged after 180 days, my questions are: What state could these jobs have been in, that they could be reactivated way past 180 days? If these jobs had run in January already, how did they manage to survive the 180-day purge? Does NetConfig job purge not delete jobs that are unapproved/pending/in draft mode? Do the Approvers get a second round of request for approval, when the jobs somehow get reactivated to run a second time? Are there any measures available to prevent a scenario like this from recurring?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, the patch applies to LMS 2.6 as well. A patch could be created. The resurrection is due to the state of JRM at the time the processes are restarted.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is most likely related to my bug, CSCsl98252. If the bugs remain in JRM, and backups or package installations are performed, the jobs have a chance of being restarted. If this was the case, I'm not certain if approvers would get another round of email. My guess is no as the job was already approved.

The bug is fixed in LMS 3.1, but I can provide a patch for LMS 3.0.1 as well if you contact the TAC.

Thanks. Is there a patch available for LMS 2.6? Does the bug even apply, since it's listed for 3.x?

Was the resurrection due to human error or the bug itself, or a combo of both? The bug description makes it sound like it's purely software-induced.

Yeah, the patch applies to LMS 2.6 as well. A patch could be created. The resurrection is due to the state of JRM at the time the processes are restarted.

TAC says a patch won't be produced for LMS 2.6. Is that correct? This is a very nasty bug. I find it unacceptable that Cisco expects customers to get the fix through a paid upgrade.

I can apply my patch to CS 3.0.6. Have your TAC engineer contact me directly.

Is there any known issue with the patch? After applying it, all of our NetConfig jobs seem to be marked "successful" without actually getting executed. I've debug log(s) on configjob, configjobmanger, and netconfig. I don't even see any traffic coming out of the LMS server to the target device(s), according to snoop.

This has nothing to do with my patch. My patch didn't touch Netconfig at all (it only prevented transient processes from being restarted by PSU and backup). It sounds like you have another problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: