cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

managed ports in dfm 2.0.4

u346874_2
Level 1
Level 1

I thought that only trunk ports are in managed state in dfm but now i have switch where access and trunk ports both are in managed state.(those ports are up) Iam Also confused why one gbic trunk port are not in managed state(its up) Switch is WS-C3560G-24TS-E. Any experience.

Juha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I haven't received a memory upgrade so I forget all the old LMS stuff.

In my help is says:

Ports and Interfaces that DFM Manages

DFM manages device ports and interfaces, as described in the following:

•Ports (on switches)—By default, DFM manages trunk ports but does not manage access ports.

–A trunk port is a port that is connected to another Layer 2 device (such as a switch, bridge, or hub).

–An access port is a port that is either not connected to any device, or is connected to a non-Layer 2 device (such as a router).

•Interfaces (on routers)—By default, DFM manages all interfaces listed in a device ifTable.

When a device is added to DFM, DFM assigns the device interfaces and ports to DFM system defined groups depending on their type. For more information on port and interface groups, see DFM System Defined Groups.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Also access ports are monitored but differently, other thresholds etc.

If a trunk port is not managed it might have been down when it was discovered by DFM.

Try rediscovering the device.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi

If i look other devices except that model WS-C3560G-24TS all access ports are not managed by default. I remember that i read DFM earlier versions help and there was mentioned that only trunk ports are in managed state by default. I looked ports manage state at path DFM-Device management-Device details-Detailed device view and ports.

Juha

I haven't received a memory upgrade so I forget all the old LMS stuff.

In my help is says:

Ports and Interfaces that DFM Manages

DFM manages device ports and interfaces, as described in the following:

•Ports (on switches)—By default, DFM manages trunk ports but does not manage access ports.

–A trunk port is a port that is connected to another Layer 2 device (such as a switch, bridge, or hub).

–An access port is a port that is either not connected to any device, or is connected to a non-Layer 2 device (such as a router).

•Interfaces (on routers)—By default, DFM manages all interfaces listed in a device ifTable.

When a device is added to DFM, DFM assigns the device interfaces and ports to DFM system defined groups depending on their type. For more information on port and interface groups, see DFM System Defined Groups.

Cheers,

Michel

thanks Michel

That was what i was looking for.

"Ports (on switches)—By default, DFM manages trunk ports but does not manage access ports."

I was wondering why i have that switch "what i mentioned earlier" which access ports was also managed by default. Only explanation have to be that those ports was earlier trunk ports(when device was added to dfm)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: