cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managed Ports in DFM not generating alert

qlgendrano
Level 1
Level 1

I've just added a new 3750 switch in DFM. It is in known status and the ports that I want to managed are set to TUE. However, I do not get any alert in DFM console whenever one of the managed ports go down. I have tried to delete and rediscover this device from DFM but still the same.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I missed that you said you "typed" the shutdown command.  This won't work.  If a managed port/interface is shutdown, then DFM considers that a healthy state.  That is, the administrator has said, "this port is not being used."  No event will be generated.  To really test DFM, you need to "no shut" the port, then unplug it.  That should generate an event after about four minutes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of DFM are you using?  How are you testing this exactly?  that is, when you take the port down, how long do you wait before reconnecting it?

I have DFM 3.0.5.

To test it,  basically, I issue the shutdown command to the port and wait for the alert to show up in the console. I waited for about 10 minutes and still nothing showed up in DFM console.

When you set the managed state to TRUE, did you go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Apply Changes?  That is required so that the DFM server actually attempts to manage those ports.

I missed that you said you "typed" the shutdown command.  This won't work.  If a managed port/interface is shutdown, then DFM considers that a healthy state.  That is, the administrator has said, "this port is not being used."  No event will be generated.  To really test DFM, you need to "no shut" the port, then unplug it.  That should generate an event after about four minutes.

ok, I'll try this and will let you know.

thanks!

Thanks! Now I see the alerts.

I went to DFM>Device Management>Device Details, check the Device, click view, click on the Device>Port and set to TRUE, Submit and Apply Changes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: