Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Managing non SNMP devices using CW

How can I manage or discover my non SNMP cisco devices using CW?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Managing non SNMP devices using CW

IP phones are handled specially by LMS. Discovery and Campus Data Collection ignore IP phones since they do not have SNMP stacks. The only application in LMS that has any relation to IP phones is User Tracking. While it does not actual talk to the phones, it displays IP phone details using switch CAM data, router ARP data, and Call Manager ccmPhoneTable data (from the CISCO-CCM-MIB).

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi...not possible. Ciscoworks requires (at a minimum) SNMP RO access in order to add the device to the inventory.

Regards,

-J

Do we require SNMP for discovery also in CW? Cant it find all the non snmp cisco devices in the network using auto discovery?

Cisco Employee

In order for a device to discovered and managed in the topology map it also needs snmp ro access. It uses snmp RO to read the cdp tables and map things out.

Non-snmp devices will appear in User tracking as end hosts.

Cisco Employee

I'm assuming you're talking about Campus Manager, and yes, you'll need SNMP configured (and CDP as mentioned in a previous message).

Regards,

-J

Yup, and what about Cisco IP Phones, we can't make those SNMP enable

Cisco Employee

IP phones are handled specially by LMS. Discovery and Campus Data Collection ignore IP phones since they do not have SNMP stacks. The only application in LMS that has any relation to IP phones is User Tracking. While it does not actual talk to the phones, it displays IP phone details using switch CAM data, router ARP data, and Call Manager ccmPhoneTable data (from the CISCO-CCM-MIB).

Views
Helpful
Replies