Views
Helpful
Replies

managing Spanning Tree with Campus Manager

karima-zaydi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Can someone tell me if Campus manager monitored the STP ?

My customer want to be alerted when a STP topology change occured ..

he wants to visualized the STP for all the vlans on the map?

Campus give us a per vlan view, isn't it?

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Campus Manager does give you spanning tree visibility (i.e. it shows blocking and forwarding ports and root bridges). It can also let you do spanning tree analysis to find the optimum root bridge. Campus Manager is not a fault management application, os it will not alert you about STP changes. However, DFM does have some support for processing STP traps. It passes those through to the AAD console.

There doesn't seem to be any support for 802.1w (CM Version 4.0.8) ? Any plans to have this support in future ?

Thanks,

Naman

I haven't heard of any mention of any 802.1w-specific functionality in Campus Manager.

Hello,

Can we see the STP for all the vlans on the CM map? or is it just possible per vlans??

Then in DFM, could you give me the command exact for the traps for the STP, I have done it with Netconfig I just give the CWLMS address to receive all the traps and I have deploy the command on all the device, I don't know if there is something to add, like logging on...or I don't remember the other options for this command...

Can you give me all the parameters to put in the blanks?

Thanks

You can visualize spanning tree on a per-VLAN basis.

If you are sending all traps to the DFM server, then that is all you need to do assuming DFM is managing the switches in question.

the traps for the STP does not give enough explication, it does give information on the vlan...

Our solution of supervision Netview informed us of any change of spanning tree topology .

However, this alarm is very vague, and we loose too much time to specify the situation.

For example, during a change of root,SNMP traps does not specify us the VLAN concerned.

Some of our switchs are used for much VLAN. We lose too much time to check them one by under Ciscoworks.

Therefore, how Ciscoworks can help us to answer for following purposes:

- to know which vlan is concerned with the change spanning tree

- to know the causes of such a change

- to check that the situation spanning tree is normal (I.E the desired equipment are many roots and the desired bonds are quite active.)

You're really not going to get any more fault management enhancements in terms of spanning tree management in CiscoWorks compared to what you're seeing with NetView.

The benefit comes with the spanning tree visualization that Campus Manager provides. While it won't show you the root cause of failures, you can use it to get a picture of what a healthy spanning tree looks like, then compare that to the picture when there are problems.

thank you for the answer..

Can you tell me why it takes too much time for us to get spanning tree map on Campus with a 5130 XEON processor 2G Hertz, with a Windows 2003 US SP1 with 4G of RAM???

What does Campus do when it try to loading the maps??

Thank you

I'm not sure what a long time is, nor what you're seeing while it's loading the map. The client needs to load the device and topology information from the server (so network latency is involved) once the server computes that topology, and the spanning tree states. Then the client needs to relayout at topology based on the desired preferences. So there is a client factor as well.

It takes 4 minutes and 14 s to have the spanning tree map for a vlan...what's wrong?

is it possible to create group and then to see the spanning tree, because I have made some in Common Services and it's not possible to see the STP for that groups...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco