Views
Helpful
Replies

Meaning of snmp trap class "chassis", "rf", "alarms", "bulkstat", "entity"

Hello,

it would be kind if somebody could answer my questions below:

1. What type of snmp traps will in detail be sent if I configure the command

snmp-server enable traps chassis ?

There are already the envmon and module traps which send information about the system hardware

----------

2. We use some Cat 65xx and 45xx with redundant supervisor engines and sso. Does the command

snmp-server enable traps rf

match this feature and send concerning informations?

----------

3. Is my understanding correct that the command

snmp-server enable traps alarms <severity>

is a general command to filter which severity level of traps of the other "snmp-server enable traps" commands will be sent?

If not what is the correct meaning?

I found the following documentation but I don't really understand it:

When ALARM traps are enabled, the router generates a trap whenever an alarm is asserted or cleared for physical entities that are defined in the entPhysicalTable in the ENTITY-MIB.

The CISCO-ENTITY-ALARM-MIB provides a management client with the capability to monitor alarms generated by physical entities in a network that are identified in the entPhysicalTable of the Entity-MIB (RFC 2737). Examples of these physical entities are chassis, fans, modules, ports, slots, and power supplies. The management client interfaces with an SNMP agent to request access to objects defined in the CISCO-ENTITY-ALARM-MIB

----------

4. What is the meaning of the command

snmp-server enable traps bulkstat?

And what does bulk statistics mean?

I found the following documentation but I don't understand it:

SNMP notifications can be sent as traps or inform requests. The snmp-server enable traps bulkstat command enables both traps and inform requests for the specified notification types. Use this command with the snmp-server host [bulkstat] command.

The optional collection keyword controls bulk statistics collection notifications that are sent when data collection cannot be carried out successfully. One possible reason for this condition is insufficient memory on the device.

If the optional keywords are not used, all bulk statistics notification types are enabled (or disabled, if the no form of the command is used).

----------

5. Which traps will be sent when I configure the command

snmp-server enable traps entity?

What does "entity" mean?

I also found some documentation:

When ENTITY traps are enabled, the router generates an entConfigChange trap when the information in any of the following tables in the ENTITY-MIB changes:

? entPhysicalTable

? entAliasMappingTable

? entPhysicalContainsTable

Note The SNMP manager should also regularly poll the entLastChangeTime object to detect whether traps were missed due to throttling or transmission loss.

----------

6. Which type of traps concern to the CatOS command

set snmp trap enable system?

Many thanks in advance,

Thorsten

1 Reply 1

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

To enable SNMP trap notification for processor card redundancy activity, use the snmp-server enable traps rf command. To disable this feature, use the no form of the command.

snmp-server enable traps rf

no snmp-server enable traps rf

Syntax Description

This command has no other arguments or keywords

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: