cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating a single server LMS deployment to a multi-server deployment

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

We have standalone LMS 3.0.1 server (ServerA) in production right now with some extensive DFM email notifications.

We are planning to move DFM onto its own server (ServerB) and integrate its traps with Netcool and then have netcool do the email and ticket generation.

My plan A for the moment is to installed a new instance of DFM on a separate server (serverB), configure it as a DCR slave but not in auto-mode and import only a few devices into the new DFM instance. Then when I have the new DFM instance fully configured I plan to enable automode on that and disable/remove DFM from the master LMS system (Server A).

My Plan B is to move DFM from the master LMS server (Server A) to ServerB rather then run two instances of DFM in parallel.

Q1. Regarding Plan A -- Is there any issues with running two instances of DFM until I get the new instance configured to my liking ?

Q2. Regarding Plan B -- is there an easy way to move DFM from the master LMS server (Server A) with all its existing customization to ServerB rather then run two instances of DFM in parallel.

Any comments on what plan is the best to take would be appreciated ?

Thx

Jerry

//

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually, no. Plan A will allow you to install DFM on the second server in eval mode. You will be able to manage up to 100 devices in that instance of DFM. That should be enough to allow you to configure and test this second instance. Once you have it working, install the license from the first server on your second server, and uninstall DFM from the first server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Plan A: No problems here except you'll be double-polling the devices managed in both instances of DFM. If your notifications rely on device traps in addition to polling, you will also need to configure the second DFM server as a trap receiver on the devices it is managing as well as adjust any SNMP ACLs on those devices.

Plan B: The only way to do this is to do a full backup of the master, then restore it to the second server. After doing that, you'll probably want to make sure things are working on the second server. You'll also need to switch over any trap receiver configuration you've done on the devices, adjust ACLs, etc.

Therefore, Plan B and Plan A share a lot of commonalities. Given that, the incremental approach of Plan A might be better.

So I won't run into a licensing issue with two instances of DFM running at the same time on the same devices.

My license is a LMS 1500 node license and my current device count is 600 nodes.

Actually, no. Plan A will allow you to install DFM on the second server in eval mode. You will be able to manage up to 100 devices in that instance of DFM. That should be enough to allow you to configure and test this second instance. Once you have it working, install the license from the first server on your second server, and uninstall DFM from the first server.