cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from Wintel to Solari

rtuttle
Level 1
Level 1

enough is enough is enough. I have recieved perm to migrate off of "bill please reboot my server" to Solaris. I have the spec's but would like some info on the migration of existing data. It would appear to be a simple restore onto the new os but any tidbits would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While I welcome anyone coming to UNIX, migrating LMS across platforms is not possible. You will not be able to restore your Windows backup to Solaris. The best you can do is migrate a DCR export of devices from your Solaris server. You will also be able to copy your NMSROOT/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/servlet/cwpass from Windows to Solaris to retain your LMS user list. But beyond that, you will have to start anew with configuration and data.

My background has always been Solaris since way way back in CWSI and Stratacom Wan Manager days when I worked in bldg L. But people want it cheap and always seem to get to this point,,,,,,. Now one last question. The Sun solaris boxes now come with intel quad chips. I dont think so but the solaris version of lms31 is still only supported on a sparc platform correct?

And this may be an account team question but when (not if) I do the migration how long can I run both systems in parallel on the same license?

Thanks,

Richard

You cannot run LMS on x86 Solaris. Only UltraSPARC Solaris is supported.

Legally you cannot run both systems in parallel with the same license. You can, however, use an eval license on the Solaris server to test everything (up to 100 devices). Once you're confident that things are working, shutdown the Windows box, and install the license onto the Solaris server.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: