cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum configuration for...

nickmaiolo
Level 1
Level 1

Im just looking into some disaster recovery scenarios, and i have the following questions which i dont seem to be able to find answers to within the documentation.

Scenario is a switch was working fine before, and has been backed up with LMS. Its completely scrwed and has been replaced with the same model as before.

I need to know the minimum configuration needed to successfully deploy an archived configuration to the device via LMS. Does the configuration needed differ depending on method (telnet/tftp/ssh), or by OS (IOS/catOS)? Is there any documentation detailing specifically whats needed?

Whilst im on the subject, whats the minimum configuration needed for LMS to successfully deploy IOS to a device?

Thanks in advance, and i hope i havent missed this information someplace.

Nick

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For deploying a configuration to an IOS or CatOS device, the minimum configuration are SNMP read-only and read-write credentials. In this case, RME can use SNMP/TFTP to deploy the configuration.

For deploying IOS to a device, it depends on the device. For devices that support the CISCO-FLASH-MIB (e.g. routers) all you need are SNMP read-only and read-write credentials with the addition of snmp-server system-shutdown if you want SWIM to reload the device. Other IOS devices (e.g. access switches like the 3560) will require telnet or SSH credentials in addition to SNMP.

My advice for a solid, guaranteed minimum config for all devices are both SNMP AND one interactive protocol (i.e. telnet or SSH) in addition to whatever basic routing is required for RME to reach the device. This way, you will be able to login from the network as well just in case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: