cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor OSPFv3 via SNMP not working - Is OSPFv3 MIB supported?

abosenL3c
Level 1
Level 1

I need to be able to query the OSPFv3-MIB via SNMP to track the status of OSPFv3.

I have setup a 3945 router in a test lab network and I have configured it in an Ipv6 network with OSPFv3.  The router has an active OSPFv3 neighbor and I can use that neighbor to send/receive data (the routing is working fine).  However, when I walk the SNMP MIBs I don't get a response for the OSPFv3-MIB.  According to the Cisco SNMP Object Navigator this MIB should be located at 1.3.6.1.3.102.*.  Below is an example trying to query a particular OID from the OSPFv3 MIB.
C:\>snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 197.16.18.1 1.3.6.1.3.102.1.5.1.8
SNMPv2-SMI::experimental.102.1.5.1.8 = No Such Object available on this agent at  this OID

I can walk other parts of the MIB (For example the OSPFv2 MIB) and get responses, so I know the router has SNMP turned on.

Looking at the Cisco IOS Mib Locator tool (http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/MainServlet?IMAGE_NAME=c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M3.bin) for the current software version I am running (c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M3.bin) on a 3945 router it claims that the OSPFv3 MIB is supported in this image.  

Maybe I need to configure something else?  Maybe my SW doesn't really support this MIB?  Could it be that I have to query the router over Ipv6 to get the OSPFv3-MIB (I have only been trying Ipv4)?

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Following is what I think is important for OSPF v3 mib as per the restrictions for OSPFv3 MIB Support:

•  To monitor multiple Open Shortest Path First version 3 (OSPFv3) processes, each process must be associated with a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) context.
  •  To monitor multiple VRFs, each VRF must be associated with an SNMP context.

So make your snmp configuration context aware and try to poll the context and see if it works.

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

As Vinod suggested , you need to configure the "SNMP CONTEXT"

Configure:

==========

Basic configuration consists of 4 steps:

Configure mapping between VRF name and SNMP context :

snmp-server vrf <vrf_1> context <context_1>

Create community string corresponding to the VRF :

snmp-server community <vrf_1> RW

Define context string

snmp-server context <context_1>

Configure mapping between context and community:

snmp-server community-map <vrf_1> context <context_1>

(optional) Configure snmp server traps for this VRF community

snmp-server host <IP> traps version 2c <vrf_1>

For e.g:

snmp-server vrf miki

context miki_bgp

snmp-server community miki RW

snmp-server context miki_bgp

snmp-server community-map miki context miki_bgp

Hope it will help

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ***

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks for your help looking into this, however my router isn't giving me these options.

(config)#snmp-server vrf miki
                                      ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

It doesn't look like it supports mapping between the vrf and snmp context.  Any other suggestions?

I am running this software version:

Cisco IOS Software, C3900 Software (C3900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(4)M3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 26-Feb-13 06:54 by prod_rel_team

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: