Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Clients on diffetenr vlans

soheilsoali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a router as my gateway which is connected to a 2960 switch , where I created 24 vlans (one vlan per port) and eatch port is dedicated to one client .

I want to know how much traffic they are using during the day and in some peak hours , who is downloading more and how much bandwidth they are consuming (in any time).

Please recommend me which monitoring software I have to use and how

P.S. I've been said that I have to use Manageengine Network Monitoring .

1 Reply 1

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

so every client has it's own VLAN, Broadcast-Domain, Spanning-Tree instance and IP-Subnet?

Is there any special reason for doing so? You can do it this way with a few tens of clients, but it's not very scalable.

Anyway, if you want to monitor the bandwidth consumption on each switchport, you can use freeware RRDtool-frontends like MRTG and Cacti (you have to enable SNMP on your switch). Cacti is very easy to install, you can even find videos on youtube.

Depending on your router's capabilities you can also collect detailed information like IP source and destination, portnumbers, etc. on a per-flow basis when you enable NetFlow. There are also freeware tools but setting up them is not easy. There are also evaluation versions of tools like "Scrutinizer" which allow you to see the last 24 hours.

Hope that helps

Rolf