Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Object tracking with SNMP

elwright
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to find a way to monitor via SNMP or Syslog how to monitor the object tracked routes on a ASA 5505.

When my connection fails over from cable to dsl or vice versa I'd like to recieve a alarm or email via Cisco Works or Whatsupgold.

Below is part of the configuration

track 3 rtr 3 reachability

!

track 4 rtr 4 reachability

sla monitor 3

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 4.2.2.2 interface backup

frequency 15

sla monitor schedule 3 life forever start-time now

sla monitor 4

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 4.2.2.3 interface outside

frequency 15

sla monitor schedule 4 life forever start-time now

6 Replies 6

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It seems ASA's IP SLA configs are not as far along as that of IOS, in terms of alerting.

I suppose you could either roll your own and write a "robot" script to log into each ASA to parse the "sla monitor" output accordingly, or configure the IPM piece of CiscoWorks LMS to do it for you: IPM - Collector Mgmt - Operations - Generate Action Event - Event Type: SNMP Trap.

The robot script would have to be the way as the ASA does not support the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB, therefore IPM will not be able to manage them.

Would you know when CISCO-RTTMON-MIB support would be added, or the ASA IP SLA capabilities be expanded to match the IOS?

No idea. This is the first time I heard about IP SLA support in the ASA. I haven't seen any ASA IP SLA SRs in the NMS TAC, and I'm not seeing any enhancement requests pending.

I am working with Cisco on a way for the ASA to email these track changes. I really would like to find a way to snmp it - any other ideas?

There is no MIB support in the ASA to support tracking. There is just no way to do it with SNMP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: