cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring PRI Channel Usage on 2821?

MBourne
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to monitor concurrent PRI ISDN channel usage on a 2821 (c2800nm-spservicesk9-m version 12.3(8)T5).

I am having trouble identifying the correct MIB and OID that will give the current number of active channels.

I am looking to use the MIB and OID in Whatsup Pro 2006 to graph usage over time so that I know how close to capacity the PRI ISDN is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies 8

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I haven't checked if this mib applies to a c2821 but you can poll the OID and see it it matches the show commands.

in MIB CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB

cpmISDNCfgActiveDChannels

The number of ISDN signaling channels which are active.

Cheers,

Michel

Michel,

Thanks.

I've already tried this MIB.

Although this MIB is listed as applying to the c2821, the OIDs do not appear to be fully populated.

Some of the OIDs within CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB seem to be exactly what I am looking for, they just don't seem to be updating on my 2821.

Is there an IOS command that may need to be run to fully enable the MIB on, or do you think that updating to a later IOS release may help?

Thanks,

Mark

Im not aware of any command enabling a mib so I guess testing the most recent version of the c2821 IOS is your best chance

Cheers,

Michel

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried the ISDN-MIB, perhaps an object like isdnBearerOperStatus

The ISDN-MIB only reports whats happening at individual channel level, it does not give a summary count.

I am currently using this MIB with snmpwalk to pull out the whole table and then count the number of lines with status 4 (active).

This is OK as a workaround, but ideally I would like to obtain the summary count directly from an OID so I can monitor it in whatsup pro 2006 (and trigger alarms when all channels are used).

Ideally I am simply looking for a single OID that will give the count of active channels.

Thanks,

Mark

jobegates
Level 1
Level 1

Did you get this to work? I am using a 3745 and can get the interfaces to show up but I'm not getting anything on the utilization.

I still have not got this working.

We are scheduling an IOS upgrade to see if that makes the counters work.

In the meantime I have written a script that uses SNMPWALK to look at individual channel utilisation and then write a summary line to a file. This does not trigger alarms, but at least allows us to see how usage is varying over time.

So you were able to get the interfaces to show up? I'm going to open a ticket with IP Switch. I also haven't upgraded to the latest service pack.