cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring specific port uptime

chasepettet
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I am really in need of some suggestions here. Part of our backplane is a 6509 which acts as the go between for a server farm to a collection of vlans. My manager wants a report of monthly uptime statistics for each specific port that a handful of servers are attatched too. Now I'm thinking I could maybe do this two ways, SNMP or syslog events, but I've been reading and reading through documents and nothing seems to be what I'm looking for. We also have LMS 2.6, w/DFM which I'm almost sure I should be able to do something with it also but am having problems with DFM separately. Is there a way to generate an SNMP event for port downtime and easily translate it into a statistic? i.e. something as simple as a percentage of uptime over a 30 day history. I really appreciate any help, or even pointers in the right direction here. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at IP SLA (it's a Cisco IOS tool), that might be easier for you to get the information you are looking for. Also you could look at monitoring your service with something like IPCheck (http://www.paessler.com/ipcheck).

HTH and please rate.

You can do it out of the box with HP OV NNM.

May be 2 expensive to just get that information. I feel that LMS is half-cooked product compare to HP. No offence though after picking up the HP NNM.

Cheers.

If all you want to monitor is some servers availability you may wish to try a free product like zabbix.

Cheers,

Michel