cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSFC & Sup

zengxing
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a MSFC or a Sup engine in a Cat 6509 chassis, is it consider to be two devices or just once device? Is the configuration file seperate or consolidated as one file?

3 Replies 3

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

In general the cisco 6500 series switches have a supervisor engine, this SUP is required since it is contain both the MSFC & the PFC, the IOS and the configuration files are running with this SUP. in other words, you can't run or use these switches without SUP.

When you order these switches "chassis only" you are required to order the SUP for them in adddition to other network modules or services modules.

The network modules copper or fiber with many types based on the number of ports and also the switching capacity and speed.

For the services modules like firewall, load balance, IPS, wireless modules and others.

The network and services modules based on your requirements, but the SUP is a must.

I hope to be helpful!

plz rate if it does

Thanks

Abd Alqader

The questions is, if I have two sups or 1 sup and 1 MSFC configured using two different IP addresses, are they treated as two devices or one device in CiscoWorks LMS?

If both IP addresses are added to LMS, they'll obviously appear as two separate devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: