Has anyone had an issue adding a 4402 to their NCS? It is listed under the supported devices, however my NCS install always seems to throw it in the Unknown devices stating that it is an Unsupported device.
Good morning Carl,
I was (still am) beating my head against the wall on this. I gave up after hour on it yesterday, and am going to call TAC today. As you say, they are suposed to be supported, and in fact they are---we just can't add them?
We have 4 4402's and 1 5508 that were migrated over from WCS to NCS. All 5 came in beautiful, and I've been managing all through NCS for a few weeks now. We had a 4402 die and Cisco processed an RMA for us, but I can't get this new one setup in NCS. As soon as I changed credentials in NCS for the controller (the password on the controller chaged with my new config), NCS moved it to Unknown Devices. I removed the controller from NCS, assuming that it was confused, and tried readding it. I'm now seeing the exact same issue as you.
I'll update with what TAC says if they're able to figure it out.
Bummer, so I'm alone in this again! We have SNMP enabled on the device, and I get different results in NCS when I match strings or intentionally break them (for both v2c and v3), so something else must be at play here since and SNMP change affects the NCS results.
Back to looking. Glad you got yours working!
Just speculation, but it sounds as if manufacturing might have tweaked the device's Object ID with a later hardware release.
David - You should be able to verify with an snmpwalk against the working and non-working 4402's.
That's an interesting thought. I would think that NCS should be able to handle the differences in Object ID for the different hardware releases, but it's certianlly worth a shot--and will verify for me that SNMP is indeed setup correctly on the controller.
I have the same issue trying to add a WLC4402 into NCS. Versions are :
NCS : 18.104.22.168
WLC : 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199 (both not working)
Each time, I get the error message in NCS : Snmp Credential Check Failed. Failed to perform the SNMP get
Did you resolve this problem ?
Vincent, Yes TAC was able to find a resolution for us, although it sounds like a different issue than yours; I'd suggest checking the community string, read/write permissions as well as what SNMP version you're using in both locations:
anyways, here's TACs email to me that fixed our issue.
Reviewing the analysis from the DE's and the data from the captures, it looks like there was at least one place where there was a getBulkRequest for 30 objects, for which the response from the WLC was three fragmented IP packets. That's probably where NCS is erroring out as it expects the responses to have the same number of objects as the requests. Can you go to Administration > Settings > SNMP Settings, and check "Maximum number of get varbinds per PDU". If it's set to 30 or more, lower it to something like 20. Then try re-adding the WLC again and see if it still has problems.
Thanks for your response. Everything's fine with SNMP because it's working good with WCS (I'm trying to migrate from WCS to NCS). I tried what you suggest but it didn't make it better !