cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarification for LMS migration from 3.2 to CPI

katgaj082012
Level 1
Level 1

We just bought LMS 4.2 AND CPI 1.2. L-PILMS42-5K-U, L-PI12-LF-5K-LIC, R-PI12-BASE-K9

I must be confused because the new upgrade path says that I have to migrate my LMS 3.2 to a not fully functioning CPI 1.3 which will potentially have an upgrade to 2.0 any day if not already, but will still not have 100% feature parity with LMS 4.2 which i can no longer buy unless it is bundled with CPI. (message 3989666)

I have to be missing something. I don't want an incomplete CPI LMS that doesn't do what LMS3.2 / LMS 4.2 can do.

Kat

#LMS 4.2

#Cisco Prime Infrastructure

#LMS 3.2

#Joseph Clarke

#Vinod Arya

#Marvin Rhoads

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd recommend that since the SKU you bought includes the Prime LMS 4.2 license, simply migrate your LMS 3.2 up to 4.2. Install the patches to get it up to LMS 4.2.4.

You will need to rehost it since even staying on Windows requires you to go with a 64-bit version (e.g. Windows Server 2008 R2). Personally I prefer the soft appliance distribution (prepackaged Linux OS built-in)

Keep your software support agreement current and watch for when PI 2.x becomes compelling for your use case. Then and only then, migrate from PI 4.x to PI 2.x.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd recommend that since the SKU you bought includes the Prime LMS 4.2 license, simply migrate your LMS 3.2 up to 4.2. Install the patches to get it up to LMS 4.2.4.

You will need to rehost it since even staying on Windows requires you to go with a 64-bit version (e.g. Windows Server 2008 R2). Personally I prefer the soft appliance distribution (prepackaged Linux OS built-in)

Keep your software support agreement current and watch for when PI 2.x becomes compelling for your use case. Then and only then, migrate from PI 4.x to PI 2.x.

Okay so I do have to host LMS 4.2 separately from the PIC hardware in order to migrate. Did I have to purchase the hardware in order to just get LMS 4.2?

Does the SKU I have purchased allow me to use the the soft appliance distribution or is it specifically the LMS image for the CPI? 

And finally could you verify i am understanding your products:

LMS 4.2.x =Prime LMS = PI 4.x =PI 2.x

Thanks,

Kat

I'm not sure what PIC hardware you're referring to. Do you mean a hardware appliance for Prime Infrastructure?

If you're running LMS 3.2 on a PC with Windows Serve 2003, you can use the same hardware (assuming it meets the hardware specs for LMS) but you have to upgrade the OS. It's usually much simpler to backup, store the backup externally and then either rebuild the OS from scratch (same hardware) or build a new host with new OS. Many people elect to use this opportunity to move into a virtual environment and deploy the ova file there vs. the old school Windows installation.

Your license entitles you to use any of the available installation paths and operating systems, as long as you stay within your total combined license counts.

The proper product name for what's commonly referred to as LMS is currently Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution. This is sometimes mis-used even in Cisco's own collateral.  We sometimes say Prime LMS (meaning the 4.x product) to differentiate from CiscoWorks LMS, the 3.x (and earlier) product.

Prime Infrastructure (PI) is a completely different product sharing only license bundling with LMS and some limited ability to do things like export your device and credential information from LMS (4.2.2 introduced this if I recall correctly) to PI.

Thanks Marvin, I apologize for being so confused; I have completely gotten in the trees and cannot see the woods.

Our partner recommended the SKUs listed in the original post as the transition path for our LMS 3.2. I understood that we were getting the hardware known as Prime Infrastructure to install LMS 4.2 as a transition path for our LMS 3.2.

So, I think what you are saying is I now need a VM to build out the image and application to get to LMS 4.2 and then upgrade to LMS 4.2.x.

I also have a PI hardware (sorry I typoed PIC for CPI) that isn't required for me to upgrade my LMS solution.

Nod your head?

Thanks,

Kat

There are a number of paths you can take. Cisco has a pretty good ordering guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/guide_c07-714720.html

It's not been updated to reflect PI 1.3+ but if you order 1.2 with software support (SASU), eligibility for those upgrades is included. You are also covered for LMS 4.x support and upgrades with that coverage.

The physical appliance (PRIME-NCS-APL-K9) is optional. You can supposedly run LMS on one though I've not seen anyone here report having done so.

If all you want to do is migrate from from LMS 3.2 to Prime LMS 4.2, the Installing and Upgrading Guide for LMS 4.2 covers that in great detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/install/guide/install.html

Once you get on 4.2, you need to patch (sequentially unfortunately) to 4.2.1 + 4.2.2 + 4.2.3 and then 4.2.4. Perform a complete device update at that point and you will have a completely up to date LMS.

Marvin, Thank you again for your technical experiences and preferences. This interaction has made me feel better prepared to have this discussion with my vendors in the coming days. We are not ready for PI but when we are I am sure it will be locked and loaded =-) Kat

You're welcome Kat.

Glad to help you and any others seeking similar guidance.