Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Need feedback on NMS recommendations...

Hey guys, we are in the market for an NMS to manage about 300 network (Cisco) devices. Mainly 2960s, 3750s, and soon a 6509. We also have an ASA and some APs. We may include servers later. I have used demos of:

• Solarwinds - Orion
  • Quest - Foglight
  • IP Switch - WhatsUpGold

I also am going to look at Passeler. I think there is a good solution somewhere within that group.

Some notes I have made:

Foglight is a simple all-in-one solution. For example, network configuration management is built into the application. Orion on the other hand requires you to buy NCM.

What do you guys like and why?

Thanks.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Need feedback on NMS recommendations...

A complete answer would depend on what your goals are.

That said, I've used Orion NPM a fair amount. It's a solid product and SolarWinds has a great staff and very active user community. They also keep improving their products over time. They do get you on licensing and having NCM be separately licensed (and with a list price almost equal to NPM) is a real pain point for some folks. That said, the SolarWinds folks usually are willing to deal on price, especially for a new account.

If all you want in addition to what NPM give you is regular archives of your scripts, you might want to consider a mix-and-match solution with something like RANCID for configs and Orion NPM for fault and performance monitoring.

I've not used Quest's Foglight but the company seems to be in the business of buying up products and doesn't to my eye have the same big picture story that SolarWinds does.

What's Up Gold has been around for a long time and generally is well-regarded for what it does.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content