cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help - 6513 with RMON statements

alaporte
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working for a new company and I'm running into a bit of an unknown for me.

They have two 6513 that have been up and running for over a year. The previous network admin is no longer around and I'm a bit confused on some of the configurations on the interface. There are a ton of RMON statements, about 3 per interface.

Here is a sample:

interface GigabitEthernet2/2

description Connection to c6513-2 GigabitEthernet2/2

no ip address

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

rmon collection stats 48 owner "root@nyvalcw [1069196142656]"

rmon collection history 48 owner "root@nyvalcw [1070913625640]" buckets 50 interval 30

rmon collection history 49 owner "root@nyvalcw [1070913625625]" buckets 50 interval 1800

I'm not even sure if these lines are performing any functions. If anyone could point me in the right direction to research this or knows how they were created that would be great.

I'm thinking it has something to do with CiscoWorks but I'm not able to find any documentation that supports this idea.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Andy

3 Replies 3

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

It looks like the previous network admin was monitoring mini-RMON data on these ports. These commands show that he was collecting statistics and history (layer 2) from the device. These commands can be entered manually, but there is a good chance that an application like Traffic Director or RTM entered them on the device.

These commands are actually collecting data and using some memory on the device.

You might want to check and see what nyvalcw is and if it has an application for collecting SNMP RMON data.

thanks

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Since I can not find Traffic Director or RTM (currently we are running Ciscoworks LMS 2.5) I'm thinking I should remove these lines? Whats do you think?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I can't recommend removing the configs or not, it would be your call there. However, if you want to remove these commands I would suggest perhaps backing up the config first in case there was someone using them to collect RMON data.

thanks

Dave